Main Menu

70 “Challenger” Trunk Decklid Script Emblem Help

Started by schlett7nu1, December 11, 2018, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

Well
I got the brilliant idea to remove the truck decklid "Challenger" script and R/T script to buff out some paint issues in the bumblebee stripe. Both emblems have the pins and are retained in the trunk by tubular nuts. As I feared I broke two of the three pins on the "Challenger" script. I assumed that the fender script was the same three pin design used on the trunk. Wrong. I ordered a Trim Parts fender script emblem only to find the script and pin spacing is different. Now I'm in a tough spot. I don't want to use a stick-on deck script. I've called various part suppliers only to confirm that the two script emblems are different and that they don't reproduce the trunk script. I'm surprised by this and don't want to use a stick-on. I've not yet found an NOS part but haven't given up if that's my option. Any help would be appreciated.
Dereck

6bblgt

the factory 1970 "Challenger" & "R/T" emblems are stick-on

got pics of the emblems you have?

anlauto

YES  :iagree: ...in 1970 ALL the Challenger trunk lid emblems were stick on. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

schlett7nu1

I was told by multiple vendors that pins were used part of production. It's a 27000 mile survivor car. I can't believe it's not original.

anlauto

Can you post pictures of the inside of the trunk lid ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

there are numbers on the back of the emblems, what are they?

AFAIK these are factory correct for 1970, I've never heard of pinned decklid emblems for part of the '70 model year  :dunno:

anlauto

6bblgt

the engineering drawings & its revision block makes no mention of pins

schlett7nu1

I'll do more investigation to confirm someone didn't drill holes. I'll confirm location as well and get back with findings.
Thanks

1 Wild R/T

Which still is odd cause the only other Challenger emblem with pins I know of is the grill emblem....

FWIW I agree with Alan & Dan, I've owned quite a few 70 Challengers & all had stick on deck lid emblems....

headejm

I have a NOS Challenger name plate without pins. My 1970 R/T has no hole in the trunk lid for the emblems. They are stick-on.

RUNCHARGER

My April 70 Challenger R/T and my Oct 69 A66 had stick on trunk emblems as well, both had their original decklids for sure.
Sheldon

schlett7nu1

Mystery solved. I talked with the original owner. He recalls replacing the original deck lid emblems in the mid-70's due to condition. He vaguely remembers buying replacement emblems with pins and drilling holes and inserting tubular retainers. I was surprised at 76 he had a faint memory of this. Why the "Challenger" script pin size and spacing is different than the Trim Parts emblem is unknown. I bought the stick on emblems and will install covering the pin holes. I struggled today to remove the tubular retainers without chipping the paint around the holes. I've not yet got any of them out. They are not accessible for the underside of the trunk.  I may leave them in with the hope that they won't show under the adhesive strip. The R/T emblem that was in place is the same pin style used on the front fender. I'll replace with a stick on one as well. Someday when I restore the car I'll have the holes filled. It's not the end of the world but I was on a wild goose chase for a while.  I won't get the stick on emblems until next week.

anlauto

Use a drill with the same size bit to remove the metal inserts :alan2cents:

js27