Main Menu

Help with MSD 6al and Mopar 12v source

Started by Mopsquad, December 11, 2018, 07:30:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

Hello everyone!  I'm getting into the electrical portion of this EFI conversion. Both the ECU and the MSD need a 12v run on/crank source. I did the search on this forum and other forums but I need clarification. Below is a pic of the wires to my ballast resistor. The left hand wires test continuous with the +ve coil (not sure about brown). The right side blue to alternator and black gets spliced into a blue and yellow stripe wire going towards the underneath battery.

Forums say tap into the blue and brown. Usually there are pictures on the right side of the resistor. Mine are on the left.

Question is, do I still tap into the brown and blue wires?  And, what do I do with the other side blue and black(which goes into blue/yellow

Thx!   

Chryco Psycho

you need to tie the blue & brown together so you have power both cranking & running , the blue on the coils side is not used as it is the dropped voltage through the ballast , you want to use the blue at one end of the ballast & the brown from the other end to have full 12v all the time

Mopsquad

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 11, 2018, 08:33:30 PM
you need to tie the blue & brown together so you have power both cranking & running , the blue on the coils side is not used as it is the dropped voltage through the ballast , you want to use the blue at one end of the ballast & the brown from the other end to have full 12v all the time

Thx!

Are you saying blue from the right side and brown from the left side?
And leave the others disconnected? 

Chryco Psycho

Yes , the blue to the coil will have reduced voltage through the ballast , so the blue on the right should be 12v all the time when running , the brown will bypass the resister & provide 12v while cranking , you should no longer need the ballast if the MSD is controlling the coil

Mopsquad

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 11, 2018, 08:55:45 PM
Yes , the blue to the coil will have reduced voltage through the ballast , so the blue on the right should be 12v all the time when running , the brown will bypass the resister & provide 12v while cranking , you should no longer need the ballast if the MSD is controlling the coil

Thank you, much appreciated!

HP_Cuda

:iagree:

Yep don't miss the ballast on my MSD setup.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho