Main Menu

Steering column to gearbox

Started by 73chalngr, June 09, 2018, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73chalngr

Are there any tricks to getting the steering column to connect to the steering box I know that little dimple is supposed to line up with the bigger spline but I'm having a very hard time getting it started

RUNCHARGER

You've got it. They have alignment marks. If the car is pieced together the manual and PS couplers are different sizes.
Sheldon

73chalngr

Thanks for the input but the car is not pieced together I took the steering column out to replace the dash pad and install rallye gauges.  After four months I was hoping to be driving it this weekend .

RUNCHARGER

No problem then, you're on the right track.
Sheldon

tparker

Ah man, I ran into the same problem and I don't remember exactly what I did. I think it was just a matter of aligning it up and then wiggling it around a lot. It wasn't super easy but it did go. If you still have issues, I can go play with mine and give an update. Just let me know. I havn't put the pin back in, so it's easy to do.

Tom

73chalngr

Well I tried using a small file to make sure nothing was damaged then I wiggled it and got started but I still had to persuade it to go on and pin is in.  Thanks though

750-h2

I had the same problem.  What I did was remove the coupler from the steering column. I then took the coupler and test fitted it on the steering box. Once I had the coupler going on and off the steering box easily by hand I put it back on the column. Now with the coupler back on the column it should slide right in place on the steering box.