Main Menu

1970 Barracuda Dash Pad - Original steel vs ABS (Plastic) backing

Started by soccernut43, March 22, 2019, 05:41:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soccernut43

Has anyone installed the ABS dash pad from Classic Industries for a 1970 Barracuda?  While being less expensive they market it to be stronger and the weaker points reinforced.

Model #ME5510100 1970 Barracuda Dash Pad, no AC, single speaker.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

anlauto

I have one here in my shop that my customer supplied. They are okay. They are cheaper so don't expect them to be as good as a steel core. Some issues: The screws for the speaker grill, panel light bar etc... easily strip out. The vent area near the windshield sometimes looks wavy however not so bad once installed.  :alan2cents: Overall, a decent alternative to the more expensive steel core pad, but be ready for some challenges. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Buy once, cry once.  You may see minor issues now, but plastic cores develop bigger issues as the age and are exposed to heat and cold. IMO steel core is the only way to go.

anlauto

:iagree: Agreed but for a lot of people, it's about saving money  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

aussiemark

The rivets that hold the VIN tag in place will be a problem also because the rivets are not very long and they have to go through the tag, the dash dad foam and bite into the core, with plastic it tends to crack and not allow the rivet to spread and hold. If the rivet was longer you could put a small washer on the end to stop it pulling through or cracking the plastic but the correct rivets are not very long. As for plastic being stronger then steel I'm not convinced no matter how reinforced it is it's no match for steel.

ledphoot

ABS core seems like a penny-wise / pound foolish proposition to me. Stick with steel.

soccernut43

signsgonebye

anlauto

1badfish

Hey Alan, if a new dash was installed (Classic Industries) and those rivets weren't used, is it hard to change to the correct factory style rivet after the pad has been installed? I'm assuming remove the windshield or remove the pad? Thanks!

Mopar5

anlauto

Quote from: 1badfish on June 18, 2020, 12:22:18 PM
Hey Alan, if a new dash was installed (Classic Industries) and those rivets weren't used, is it hard to change to the correct factory style rivet after the pad has been installed? I'm assuming remove the windshield or remove the pad? Thanks!

Yea...safe to assume the windshield will be in the way :headbang:

anlauto

Quote from: Mopar5 on June 18, 2020, 02:15:27 PM
Who makes a good steel core dash pad?

Most good steel core pads are made by Ultimate Rides out of Elpaso Texas, sold by various vendors. There is a new kid on the block make E Body steel core pads, I believe they are call ABC, but I have no experience with them, maybe somebody else can chime in :dunno:

Mopar5

Quote from: anlauto on June 18, 2020, 03:47:17 PM
Quote from: Mopar5 on June 18, 2020, 02:15:27 PM
Who makes a good steel core dash pad?

Most good steel core pads are made by Ultimate Rides out of Elpaso Texas, sold by various vendors. There is a new kid on the block make E Body steel core pads, I believe they are call ABC, but I have no experience with them, maybe somebody else can chime in :dunno:
Thanks, I have to start thinking asbout getting one.

anlauto

I found a link for the ABC company, but again, no personal experience there  :dunno:
https://abcmoparts.com/t/e-body