Main Menu

1970 Bumper Jack assembly colors? All black or all grey? or a mix?

Started by njsteve, January 27, 2021, 11:37:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

njsteve

I have finally assembled all the various jack parts for my 1970 340 Cuda. Here's is my question: Were all the parts the same color as installed in the trunk at the factory? (Hook, base and mechanism on the shaft).  The jack assembly I bought has its original semi-gloss black paint on it while the base and hook are grey. Is it considered correct to leave them this way or should they all be black or all grey?

Thanks

70/6chall

My early LA built jack assy and accessories were painted gray from factory. When I restored these pieces I found a spray bomb can of Plasti-cote machine gray which I painted hook and jacking mechanism and aluminum silver jack mast and black tire lug wrench. All turned out very nice and looks clean in trunk.  Thanks,   Al

njsteve

It is the zinc-plated, tube style jack with a March 1970 date. The 101 hook and base are currently grey.

Skdmark

Good question.
My Aug '70 build '71 Barracuda is all grey parts. The date codes all line up with the car and it had an original rim as a spare still in the trunk.
Leads me to beleive they are original. Cannot guarantee it.

FWIW, the ICCA judging book says either grey or black is acceptable with grey being the primary color on the mechanism and base.
Nothing explicitly saying those two had to match. The hook it only references being gray.

I would either do all 3 grey or hook grey, base black and mechanism black.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

71vert340

I learned something new. I was not aware the early e-bodies had a tube type mast for the jack. My 71 has it's original T type mast. Cool.
  Terry W.

anlauto

I thought all 70 cars has  "T" style jack ? and the tube was introduced in 1971 cars ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

tube was found in 1970 also from what I have seen and removed

Skdmark

There was probably more than one supplier. Just look at all the variations in bases.
I have a hollow tube jack with a date code of 0G (July 70) and a T jack with a date code of 1B (February 71).
8 months apart with the hollow tube being older.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: