Main Menu

1970 Challenger ignition key light

Started by benlavigne, November 03, 2018, 06:59:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

So I've found a nice used working unit.... Can't figure out how it fits!
Anyone  has a picture of it installed?

Thanks!

Ben

anlauto

Once you get the column apart, it really only fits one way....maybe @Cuda Cody has a picture ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne

Oh, how much dismantling is required? steering wheel, column cover, etc...?
:o
The end part sticks out of the column cover, I guess?
I see a small hole closer to the dash...

Ben

Topcat

Go to resources at the top menu.

Click that and look for steering column disassembly.

It'll walk you thru what's needed to be done. 

anlauto

The crush can has to come off and likely move the turn signal switch out of the way (maybe not) then feeding the wire you'll likely have to remove the frame mounting bracket and wire cover :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

the key light sticks out of the hole with the flasher knob  :rubeyes:

anlauto

benlavigne

Yes, perfect!
It doesn't seem to put out much light, some of it is lost because the paint on the ''neck'' is scratched, I'd think I'd need to repaint it and just leave the end clear?

I'd still love to see one in ''action''. Maybe in Chicago in a couple of weeks!  :banana:

Ben

1 Wild R/T

They don't do much, just a dim glow where the key goes...

anlauto

Most likely why they changed it up for 1971, that plus the manufacturing cost factor  :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

Sorry a little late, but here's a photo.

benlavigne

Thanks @Cuda Cody ! Also gives me a good idea of the area that should be painted on the ''neck''....

Ben

anlauto

Man, there so much wrong with that design it's remarkable it was put into production, talk about over-engineered  :looney:

Guess the idea of changing the light bulb never crossed their mind :haha:

Arctoad

So one last question, would the delay head light off relay be a special option only available on say RT's or SE's?
Thanks for all the help, very cool.
:wrenching:

ratroaster

Quote from: Arctoad on June 21, 2019, 10:10:28 AM
So one last question, would the delay head light off relay be a special option only available on say RT's or SE's?
Thanks for all the help, very cool.
:wrenching:
It was an extra cost option and not included in the A01 package. L42 was the option code and it was not limited to RT's or SE's. Check out the salesman pocket guides in the resources area with all this info linked here.https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/data-books-salesman-pocket-facts-color-upholstery-guides/ Good stuff thanks to Cody and friends!