Main Menu

1970 Cuda Seat issue

Started by HP_Cuda, August 03, 2018, 03:29:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Guys

Just got my 1970 Seats back from the Upholstery guy and there are four wrinkles in the top corners of the seats. I was told they will go away when you put them in the sun and once you sit in them in the car. I don't see how the wrinkles will go away by sitting in them and I have put them in the Sun for 4 days straight and nothing is smoothing out.

Is this a normal issue? These are Legendary covers so I thought this would be very straightforward.

Any tips?

Thanks,
B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: I kind of doubt it too. Those seats look perfect other than that. Perhaps sitting in them will move the vinyl around on the foam a bit. They do shrink a bit and tighten up but those are pretty knarly.
Sheldon

73_Cuda_4_Me

They 'may' settle out, but that is quite a bit of wrinkle...

Here are the 70 seats I had recovered this year, fresh from my upholsterer... The covers/foam came from Classic... was VERY happy with upholstery job!

These came with the car when I bought it... were white ones sprayed black... finally got black ones!
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

YellowThumper

Agree that is too much wrinkle to flatten out.
If you look closely at the pics 73_Cuda posted. His inserts appear to be pulled in farther than yours. Top section where your back will rest is much further outward. Pulled in tighter would take up the slack.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cuda Cody

Nope, I don't think that will ever flatten out.   It takes me a long time to get the tension and all the wrinkles out.  In my experience new foam and new covers almost always need a little bit of massage to make them look good.

Cuda Cody

I do it a little differently then most people too.  I make sure I have a good metal ring to clamp the rings to so I can pull the inserts tight to the foam and get a good fit and finish.   I also will trim the foam as needed or glue more foam as needed to make sure the covers look full and even.

anlauto

Yup...I agree, something not right there... :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

screamindriver

I agree with the above statements...That's too much wrinkling for it to go away...The area in question may need to be worked/adjusted many time before the upholsterer gets it right...More than a few shops will not take the time for multiple tries ,give up and call it good enough..{b bodies are even worst}...Cody your seats look flawless and your attention to detail shows in the quality craftsmanship...As stated new foam doesn't guarantee a perfect fit there's always work and extra measures needed to make them look like Cody's seats...

HP_Cuda

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Another some massaging and time in the sun, some of them came out.

Guess it's back to the upholstery guy.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

kawahonda

Pressure divots go away (from storing a seat in storage and it's laying on something).

But wrinkles, I don't know!

My Upholstery shop has never sent me anything back that had wrinkles, but he's only done motorcycle seats for me thus far.

I always say each and every time "make it nice and tight" to just assure that I won't end up with what you have pictured.

btw, it doesn't look all that bad. I've seen worse...3-4x worse.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

anlauto

I agree, it doesn't look that bad in those pictures :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration