Main Menu

1971 - 1974 Seatbelts Restoration

Started by 1970Cuda, April 28, 2022, 05:42:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970Cuda

So I went a little "Seatbelt Crazy" last weekend at the CPW Spring Fling 2022 show. I was really wanting to obtain a set of Deluxe Seatbelts for a 1970, but for now I'll settle for a '71 - '74 set, which I believe I have found at the show (picture 1). However, I'm posting a couple of pictures for the experts on this site to confirm/validate (or refute, as the case may be).

The first picture is my full set that I purchased. They need restoration. That's the '71 - '74 I believe.

The second picture is another set I bought, but I am not entirely sure whether they are E-body or something else.

As well, if anyone knows of a good restorer, that would be great too. I noticed one on this site, but no response on sending the person a PM. Thanks everyone!

moparroy

I cannot tell you what they are, but I can tell you they are not '74s.
'74s have one piece shoulder and lap with dual retractors and a wired buckle. Attached are what mine look like. The Drivers front is original - the passenger is not.
Probably the best way to id what you have is to find the sewn on labels - may be at the end of the retracted web - and get the part numbers off those and compare to parts book listing (or post here).
Just to clarify the '74 has only two rear - I reconditioned three - at one time I was considering adding a middle one - at this point its spare.

usraptor

Not sure if they are correct however, before you send them out for restoration try this.  My original '70 Belts looked pretty much the same as yours when I took my car apart.  I put them in a wash tube with hot water and Woolite and let them soak for a couple of days.  Then I rinsed and scrubbed them with a very stiff  bristle scrub brush, rinsed again and let them dry.  They came out looking like new.  Then I sprayed the buckles with SEM black landau rattle can paint. 

1970Cuda

Hi USRAPTOR and MOPARROY,

Thanks for providing your feedback to me on the seat belts. I really appreciate the info. I am trying to absorb as much info. as possible on all things E-body. And I am about 50 years behind!

I have been looking at them too and have also consulted with someone who knows a thing or two about seat belts (re: Sharon's Web), and indeed my picture of the full set is a 1971 Deluxe Set. I actually had a few renegade spare 1971s, so I sent all of my items to Sharon's Web and the person looked them over and provided a quote for the whole restoration, new webbing, restoration of the belts, new labels (wow, those are expensive!) along with the correct 1970 retractors (which are different from the 1971s). All told, it is about a grand for all of it. But I have read the quality of the company's work is awesome and repops are around $650 or so and since these are originals, I thought it was worth it. Hopefully they turn out nice. (And I only paid $30 for the whole 1971 set at a local swap meet so at least I started out at a decent price.)

Thanks again for your great feedback! Hope your projects are coming along nicely.