Main Menu

1971 Cuda convertible hood latch

Started by WCC, April 02, 2018, 05:13:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

WCC

Does anybody know what hood latches were used on the 1971 Cudas? Mine only has the hood pins, but no latch, latch loop, safety hook or latch release. I'm not sure if this is a safety risk but was thinking of installing the latch with the latch loop on the hood and the correct latch release for the 1971. I don't like the safety hook hanging from the hood so thinking of leaving that part off.

I'm assuming the latch and release levers are different between the 1970 and 1971 models? If anybody have any pics of the two different year ones I would appreciated it very much.

Chryco Psycho

A 71 should have the latch & safety hook , & yes they are different for 70-71

Claudia

My hood has two brackets bolted to it . . . one is the latch loop and the other is the safety hook - Picture #1 below
My car has three pieces (two on the support bracket and one on the header panel) . . . spring, latch and the latch release - Picture #2 below

WCC

Great pics, thanks.
Does the latch release open by a lever being accessed through the grill?

anlauto

Yes the lever pokes through the grill and of course is a one year only piece. You'll find a lot of 72-74 levers that look similar and may work, but it won't be correct coming through the grill.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Claudia

Yes, the hood release lever is accessed through an opening in the upper portion of the grill and as Alan mentioned above . . . it is a one year only piece and if you do not already have one . . . it is going to be expensive.  Also, there are '72 - '74 release levers readily available but they are not the same even though they appear to be close.  I actually considered purchasing a '72 - '74 and modifying it to fit the '71 but I was fortunate enough to source a good used one.  I have attached a couple of pictures of the release lever for your reference.

WCC

Awesome pics, thanks so much.

I've attached a pic and it looks like I will just need to drill two holes in the header panel to fit the release lever. That is if I can find a '71 release lever. Is the latch also difficult to find and a one year only item for the '71?
I'm asssuming the latch loop and safety hooks are interchangeable between the 70-74 models?

Just a question, but why did the 71 cuda come out with hood pins as well? So you had the safety hook, latch and the pins? Overkill?

I've been driving mine with just the pins and haven't seen any issues with the hood wanting to open. But I guess it is a risk?

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @WCC   :welcome:  71 Cuda's are sweet!!!!  :banana:

Claudia

My thoughts would be the following:

Hood latch is easier and cheaper to find but is a '71 only.

Latch loop and safety hook would be the same for '70 - '74.

Not sure on the hood pins unless they were for aesthetic purposes?

I would also assume that the hood pins alone would be okay but I would feel better with more.

I am sure that others can confirm the above as I am no expert.

anlauto

The latch itself is easy to find, they're the same from 1971-74 E Bodies as well as some different models.

All "BS" 1970-71 Cuda's came standard with factory hood pins. :alan2cents:

You would most likely be a-okay just running the hood pins, maybe adjust them so they are a tighter fit  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

WCC

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 02, 2018, 07:19:18 AM
Welcome to the site @WCC   :welcome:  71 Cuda's are sweet!!!!  :banana:

Thanks and yes they are sweet. I love driving mine and just have a few small things that I want to get sorted.

WCC

Thanks for the info, you guys are awesome. I think I would feel safer with a latch as well, besides the pins. The 440 has geat power and coming from a bike background I tend to like speed.  :D