Main Menu

70 Challenger Dash resto, Stand, jig, fixture?

Started by Marksmopar1, July 25, 2020, 12:12:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marksmopar1

Hi ,,,
I am ready to build out my 70 Challenger Dash.
   Would anyone have a picture of a jig, or stand that I can mount the dash onto for assembly?
I would like to assemble the dash then install it into the car as a unit.
   A stand/ jig of some sort would be helpful. I do have some ideas but I am sure someone here has made up one that works and is safe.. ?
  Thanks in advance!

Floyd

here's one I made.  based off something i saw here or over on Moparts.

Update to add a few pics of a mod I made to keep the dash from spinning on the stand.  The unit gets very top heavy once you start adding gauges and other gear to the dash frame.

mopar jack

i recently built a jig for my road runner dash assembly and should work for an E-body. I welded together some unistrut from home depot and mounted on a plastic folding table. Caution welding the unistrut as it's galvanized. I use the folding tables for everything and use wood screws to fasten things to it .

mopar jack

Marksmopar1

Wow, ok two great ideas,,
I see what I need to do!
    Thank you for the idea directions!!
Appreciate the help .. always great ideas from the E body crowd
   :ohyeah:

Mopar5

Both great ideas but since I have some left over unistrut im going with that.

anlauto

I've done dozens just laying them on a bench, why complicate things ?  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Marksmopar1

Not all that complicated.. just like assembling things in comfort.. Also I'm not interested in screwing up a dash pad or dash paint rolling around on a bench
  He's what I eventually did..
Used my engine stand that was in the way anyway and now it's mobile in the shop.
   15 minutes and it was constructed,, easy!

anlauto

Well that does look pretty simple :bigthumb:

Plenty of ways to skin a cat :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

What a great, easy solution. The dashes do take up a lot of room rolling around the workbench on top of a blanket. I usually have a few engine stands laying around too.
Sheldon

anlauto

Who was the member here that had his dash spin around on his homemade stand and punch a hole in his brand new dash pad ? :thinking: I seem to recall that story

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: That's the situation we save the bad words for.
Sheldon

anlauto

I knew I read it somewhere....It was Ross with that beautiful orange 71 340 Cuda https://forum.e-bodies.org/recycle-board/27/re-1971-n96-340-4-spd-build/7688/90  Reply #101

"Today I decided to start the dash assembly since I have all the parts back from all the restorers I used. I was flipping the dash over to tighten the pad nuts and it got a away from me once I loosened the second bolt and nosed forward till it hit something and stopped when I straightened it up I discovered that it came to a stop on the lower bolt of my stand and punched a nice hex shaped hole in my brand new pad I ordered last fall from Dave at Roseville...So it looks like Tuesday I will be calling him to see if he has another one in stock. This was a costly F**k-up, so now it's time to go drink a few adult beverages since I doubt this will buff out. 

OUCH ! :'( :crying:

Marksmopar1

Yup,, crap happens,, we all have a brain fart at some point..
I knew a guy a few years ago who was building his T/A on a rotisserie..
He rotated the car forgetting to secure the doors,, as the car turned the door opens and slapped the floor.. ops!!
  Crap happens and so do brain farts,, That shouldn't stop us from trying to make our jobs easier and more fun..

Scooter

On the topic of dash restoration.. anyone care to chime in with success/failure on dash repair products? Mine has a few rough areas, not enough to motivate me to remove it. Any products for small cracks worth looking into?