Main Menu

70 Challenger SE headliner color question

Started by Fastmark, September 18, 2018, 02:39:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Fastmark

I help out with judging at the Labor Day show in Dallas every year and we are talking to the owner of 70 RT SE 440 six pack car. He bought the car in 1980 or 1990(I forgot which) as a big project car in rough shape. He did a good job as an amateur but he missed a few things for it to be a 100% correct car. It had a burnt orange interior when he bought the car. However,  it had a black SE headliner and overhead console in it. The rest was burnt orange. I'm under the impression that the headliner and console should be burnt orange also. His thought are " that's the way it was when I bought it". I'm thinking it was changed. He's thinking that the plastic piece that fills in around the rear window is textured black plastic and was left uncovered so the material on the cardboard part should be black. That filler piece was covered with material just like the cardboard on the SEs that I have. I have a SE Challenger with burnt orange interior and the headliner in it was burnt orange as well. That headliner did not hold up well in the hot sun so I can easily see a 10 year old car having a replaced headliner. I doubt that orange material was something easily obtain even in 1980. I bought a Gran Coupe in about 1988 that had a leopard print headliner material. It was wild looking! Has anyone here ever seen a black headliner installed from the factory in any of the other colored interiors?

6bblgt

I believe you are correct - burnt orange interior = burnt orange headliner/consolette

750-h2

The headliner and rear window surround were definitely coloured like the rest of the interior. On my F8 SE interior the headliner, overhead console and rear window surround are several shades lighter than the rest of the interior.

JS29

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 18, 2018, 02:58:25 AM
I believe you are correct - burnt orange interior = burnt orange headliner/consolette
:iagree:Had an SE FK5 with K5 interior and it was orange!

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Timbbuc2

When I bought my SE, the window trim and consolette was/is covered in the same materiel as the headliner, is this correct or should it be un-covered?
Get in, I'll drive

JS29

Burdar

1 Wild R/T

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

Burdar

Yep, that's great.  I just like seeing what people are talking about.