Main Menu

70 Console in 71

Started by Skdmark, October 17, 2020, 01:06:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

So earlier this year I picked up a 71 Barracuda with a SPD of 812 and VON 023965. So a fairly early build car. No real ownership history.
The interior looks to be pretty original and nothing looks replaced other than the AM radio for an 80's cassette player. The only thing missing were the seat belts, which I promptly replaced.
What's curious is the car has a 70 console in it.

Has anyone heard or seen a 71 with a 70 console installed from the factory before?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Culvers

Yes, on some early build cars. And on swiss build (plant Schinznach) cars.

Floyd

My Sep 70 built 71 Challenger has a bunch of 70-only parts:  Console, seat backs, go-wing spoiler, etc.

Skdmark

Quote from: Floyd on October 17, 2020, 02:20:00 PM
My Sep 70 built 71 Challenger has a bunch of 70-only parts:  Console, seat backs, go-wing spoiler, etc.

Interesting your Go-wing is a 70 too. I haven't looked at the seat backs yet. I forgot about those.
Even though the seat belts were removed I could tell they were the 71 style as there was no evidence of ever having the under carpet floor retractors in the front.

Unsurprising, the trunk floor is a 70 version on my Barracuda too, that changeover happened later in the production year.
I also have a 71 R/T, but it is a May of 71 build, so it has all 71 type parts on it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

6bblgt

Quote from: Skdmark on October 17, 2020, 02:47:24 PM
...... Unsurprising, the trunk floor is a 70 version on my Barracuda too, that changeover happened later in the production year.
I also have a 71 R/T, but it is a May of 71 build, so it has all 71 type parts on it.

your two '71 e-bodies should have different RH (passenger side) inner fenders  :takealook:

anlauto

Yup, consoles are pretty common, exterior rear view mirrors have been found as well.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Yellow71Cuda

My October, 1970 build 71 Cuda with H6T7 interior has a brown 70 console.  Also, the passenger side inner fender is 70 "style" (without the indent on top for the vent line hold down).