Main Menu

71 cuda armrest, pull cup, seat latch, etc details

Started by culp71, April 19, 2018, 11:37:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

been on CC.com for years and have got a lot of help along the way, thought I'd join this forum as well!
So I am trying to finish my 1971 cuda, I need some clarification for various interior details:

1.what is the correct length of the arm rest insert?
as far as the arm rest goes, the smaller step section (meant to go into the opening cut into the door panel)
is over 13 1/2 inches ,the issue is the door panel entire area is not even 13 inches,
so I'm trying to figure out if the door panels are wrong or the arm rest are?

I have two sets both ridiculously long, I don't have any originals so I have nothing to compare it to. I was going to cut the opening in the door panel larger, but this would not help as the entire armrest is larger then the door panel arm rest area. then I was going to cut off the front, but the cup is not and would not be in the correct location...it seems not to be just long on the front or back , but on all sides in every way just too big.

measurements of an original arm rest would be great, so I can determine if the door panels are wrong or the pad is.

2.what is the correct type fastener for the back rest latch plate for the front seat?
it also has a similar shaped, spacer, this go under or over the upholstery? or was it always used?
should the latch pictured be silver or painted a certain color?

thanks all

Jim AAR

My Original Arm Rest Inserts on my 70 AAR are the same at 13 1/2 inches.....

As far as I know the door panels are all the same for 1970 to 1974...

anlauto

Do you have original door panels or reproductions ? If so what brand ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

culp71

door panels are new repo's they are dash top brand
cant recall brand or vendor for the arm rest, I want to say maybe bea or pgclassic
I just ordered another set per ebay from hoover /rob1426 hope these fit

CudaMoparRay

On a side note: Welcome from Sylmar, CA you will find this site full of info  :welcome:

anlauto

Now you will realize why the world has been saying that the DashTop/Palco brand of interior panels are junk compared to the quality Metro panels that Roseville sells.

So moving forward....I would not hesitate on trimming the panels to make the arm rests fit as best as you can. You may find also that the panels don't fit the door very well. Some patience is required to get them to fit just about everywhere.

HOWEVER....all is not lost, one should be able to work with them to get them on and remember they look better then the old crappy ones that were on there before...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

culp71

thanks for the welcome!
so maybe this will help: note the length and fitment of arm rest compared to the door panel.
I had planned on simply cutting off part of the arm rest front section base and shifting it forward folding material down under, but the cup location would not be located correctly..
surprisingly the door panel does fit the door, everything else lines up....and I also have already mounted emblems to door panels.

anlauto

HEMICUDA

The armrests are only one problem with those vacuum formed POS's.  If you're not doing a convertible,  you'll be way farther ahead throwing those in a dumpster and get the real reproductions that are now available.

culp71

ok, sounds like its an door panel issue, I hoping I can return these door panels.... and then ill order a set from Roseville.

I sure hope metro panels will look similar in color/texture and mold lines line up as I already have the back interior panels in from dashtop.

on the next question

what is the correct type fastener for the back rest latch plate for the front seat?
it also has a similar shaped, spacer, this go under or over the upholstery? or was it always used?
should the latch plate pictured be silver or painted a certain color?

76orangewagon

I just pulled my seats apart for restoration, here are the original fasteners, they are 1/4"-20 with a length (from the captured washer to the end) of .925. My seats did not have any spacer.

culp71

culp71

ok one last question when it comes to these topics, what color and style head should be used for the door finger pull to the door attachment?

MoparDave

Quote from: culp71 on April 20, 2018, 07:13:38 AM
ok, sounds like its an door panel issue, I hoping I can return these door panels.... and then ill order a set from Roseville.

I sure hope metro panels will look similar in color/texture and mold lines line up as I already have the back interior panels in from dashtop.

on the next question

what is the correct type fastener for the back rest latch plate for the front seat?
should the latch plate pictured be silver or painted a certain color?

just sent these out to another customer. Originally they are 1/4-20 x .92 and the replacement bolts are a standard 1/4-20 x 1 bolt with out the washer.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/