Main Menu

73 Challenger green interior questions

Started by RazorX, September 25, 2021, 12:55:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RazorX

From these two images, which Green was factory  in a 1973 Challenger with the Rally package?   also, were the two tone seats in light green/dark green a Factory option, if so, code?  Mine is A6F6, I kinda wanna restore the interior back to green, and I've had good luck with SEM vinyl dyes in the past. Also, why is the dash darker green in this one image?  was that Factory?  I dont think I dig that.  can Anyone recommend/suggest an appropriate Green?  thx 

MoparLeo

I have had an original 70 Barracuda and a 73 Challenger with factory green interiors. Nothing matched. The plastics were molded with green colored plastic and the vinyl's ( dash pad, seats are different materials that takes the green color differently and it changes with the light. Not a good color if you expect the interior colors to match. It was not that important back in those days.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

anlauto

Yea, I agree, the shades of green were all over the place....I like Herb's paints  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RazorX

Thank ya'll for the answers.  I've been hemming and hawing about Bright Blue interior as well.  hmm.  I might go that route instead.  Do the B5 Bright blue interiors vary too, I've saved alot of images from online.  Looks more matching.
I'm not really intent on restoring the JF8 exterior and green interior, the body is in primer now, so ... yeah appreciate the answers.

BTW Love your website Anlauto,  thank you.   

Mr Lee

Sorry I'm not sure about the '73 or if the interior green changed from '70 - '73. 

I was a little worried about this too when I redid the interior in my '70.
I used SEM on the dash pad, which was black, and the other interior panels which were all green except for the door panels which were also black.  The dye looks slightly different when laid over something that was black vs something that was green before you sprayed it but overall, the differences are slight
The seat covers are from Legendary and not dyed.  And the carpet is not dyed
The dash frame paint is also SEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

EV2RTSE

In 73 the A6F6 seats were darker green outers with lighter green inserts as shown below. Also attached is a picture from the 1973 shop manual for the paint codes for the metal trim pieces of your interior, you could get mixed at autocolorlibrary.com. I know they will make it in pints or quarts to use with a gun, I believe they will even put it in a spray can for you. They can also make up the same shade in SEM dye to redo your soft parts.  A good local paint store should be able to do the same thing. Also if you take, say one of the kick panels and one of the plastic dash trims off and look at the backs of them you'll see the true color of these parts as they haven't been exposed to the light for many years. Bring them to your local shop and some can scan them and make an SEM dye to match.

MoparLeo

My info was for a factory interior, not a paint/die job. If you want to do that you can for sure get closer to matching colors. Just not the way they really were though.
If you just used non died/painted parts they would not be close to matching in green.
I had the blue interior in a 72 Challenger I bought  when near new. Same. Not as bad but the different materials, door panels, dash pad, dash plastic surrounds, carpet were all different and had not faded yet.
Eventually the interior plastic turned to powder. just the way the plastics were in colors other than black which has held up nicely in every E-body I have owned regardless of year.
Something about the colored plastics chemical makeup.
Modern reproduction interior parts made with modern materials should hold up much better. Had 45--50 years to improve the product.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...