Main Menu

74 Challenger sail panels

Started by 74 rallye, March 10, 2018, 07:31:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74 rallye

Does anyone sell the 74 sail panels for a Challenger? I looked on Herbs Vans and Roseville, the only ones I've found were black for 70/71 I should have ordered them last summer when I saw them . I don't see them anywhere unless I'm doing something wrong, I need white , and while on the subject, do they go under or on top of the head liner? My car came apart a long time ago and I don't remember there being any there ??
The only easy day, was yesterday

dodj

I don't believe your '74 came with sail panels, even if it did, you don't need them. They were underneath the headliner.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

nsmall

@Burdar Do you copy?  He's the local 72-74 wizard.

If you do in fact need them call Dave at Roseville as I am sure he can find some. 

74 rallye

Thanks for the reply's, I didn't think there was any there when I removed the old head liner but like I said it was a long time ago, about 20 plus years, on cuda / challenger . Com , someone argued up and down that they were there enough to make me doubt myself. So I figured I would ask here , I am trying to get it done in time to drive it to Carlisle this summer but life is kicking me all the way around it seems, I have most parts to finish but no time to work on it  :bricks:

nsmall

Quote from: 74 rallye on March 10, 2018, 07:58:54 PM
I have most parts to finish but no time to work on it  :bricks:

Thats the never ending story for all of us.  I just try to get something done every day even though that can be tough.  Keep at it, you will get there. :bradsthumb:

Burdar

They aren't needed with the Yorkshire headliner. If you are using the old perforated style, you might need them. Ask someone with a 70-71 and see if they are required. Maybe doing away with them has nothing to do with headliner material. Maybe the factory just figured out it was a waist of money.

74 rallye

Ian in the middle of installing the head liner, I have perforated one from legendary, the original was a kind of cloth , not sure of what it was called but was very badly deteriorated . I'm hoping to finish up the installation when it warms up a little, within the next couple of weeks, I didn't know if this was something I could make vs. buy if I couldn't find them if needed

Burdar

The original headliner material is called Yorkshire. It's available from a couple different places. I got mine from Dante's Parts. Not cheap but it installs way easier then the perforated style. It's virtually impossible to get wrinkles in it.

dodj

I used the perforated type in my '73 because i prefer it.  You don't need sail panels for it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jimynick

My 74 Challenger didn't have them and we put a perforated Legendary headliner back in as that's what it had originally. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

74 rallye

Thanks for the reply's , the headliner is hanging on the bows now but I think I have to do some trimming to get it stretched out , any advice on where to start when I go to complete the job?

74 rallye

Here's some pics to show where I'm at with the installation

74 rallye

Thanks, lots of good advice and ideas there, now for my next question, how many of these little guys are there supposed to be per side? I don't know what happened to the ones that came off the car years back

Burdar

Only 2 per side on mine. The side window trim holds the headliner as well. Those clips only need to hold it until the side trim is installed.