Main Menu

Ac heater box rebuild

Started by Shoooter, February 10, 2017, 12:38:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Does anyone have pictures of a heater box rebuild on a AC ebody heater box? I can't find my camera I used to take pictures of the disassemble. There are instructions but there not the best. I bought a rebuild kit from Detroit

Cuda Cody

Wish I could hep, but I'm pretty much useless when it comes it AC.   :sorry:

Shoooter

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 10, 2017, 12:47:25 PM
Wish I could hep, but I'm pretty much useless when it comes it AC.   :sorry:

That's ok you make up for it in other areas

6bblgt

I rebuilt this one, but I didn't take too many pics - I'll see if I can find more

anlauto

I recently restored two, but I didn't slow down to take pictures... :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

Do you remember what clip is used here. I had them bagged and numbered but I'm missing one

cataclysm80

I have quite a few pics on this topic if I remember to come back and post them later when I have time.

Shoooter

fc7cuda

Hopefully someone will post some pics for you, I don't have an a/c E-body at the moment or I would.  But rest assured, once done them your find your camera.   :fingerscrossed:

Good luck.

Shoooter

Any find pictures.  I got a free day coming up and would like to tackle it

cataclysm80

OK, let's see what I can scrounge up...

Here's some disassembly pictures of the AC box.

This first one shows the metal strap that holds the box installed with the round end up and the square end down.

You can see some of the cowl insulation there too. The factory glues that stuff on, just like inside the roof.
That insulation is called shoddy pad, and it's available through Detroit Muscle Technologies, along with all the gaskets and stuff to rebuild your AC box.

cataclysm80

Here it is fresh out of the car. First time out as far as I could tell. (lots of crud inside) you can see where the fiberglass insulation was glued on. My drain is missing a chunk.   (Why is that ALWAYS broke?!)

cataclysm80

This AC box uses the square ended firewall studs, and has screws to hold the two halves together.

Not all AC boxes are that way. Some have pointy firewall studs, and some use big spring clips to hold the halves together.
Of the ones that use spring clips, some are marked like the boxes with screws, and some have a completely smooth lip.
It's just changes that were made to the box as production progressed.  Any of them will work in any car, it's just a matter of how date correct you want to be.
Maybe I'll go into this more in depth later if anyone is interested.

cataclysm80

Blower motor resistor. Take it out and have a look. As long as the wire isn't corroded or broken anywhere, it's just fine. Usually there's nothing wrong with them.

cataclysm80

It's hard to see, but there's a spring here that helps this door to function. This is a common problem area on the boxes I've seen. The spring could be missing, or bent, or the box is damaged around the spring hole so that it doesn't function properly.