Main Menu

Ac heater box rebuild

Started by Shoooter, February 10, 2017, 12:38:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

:ohyeah: That is an excellent article and video! Thanks for posting it. I have several Hot Rod articles bookmarked.

truckinman466

What's the best way to test the vacuum pods?

Mrbill426

headejm

Quote from: truckinman466 on February 10, 2019, 01:28:59 PM
What's the best way to test the vacuum pods?

Hand held vacuum pump or (seriously) just suck on the attached rubber hose and make sure the lever pulls in and the diaphragm holds a vacuum.  :cheers:

Mrbill426

Doing mine (72) now but the blower motor that came out of it is black; looks original with a green hot wire.  Are thy supposed to be "silver" in color??

:wrenching:

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 10, 2017, 01:25:24 PM
I rebuilt this one, but I didn't take too many pics - I'll see if I can find more

headejm

@Burdar is our 1972 expert so hopefully he will chime in. The 1970 blower motor for the AC set-up is not black. They were silver/gray. I believe 1972 would also be silver/gray.

Burdar

@Mrbill426  The motor should have a part# and date code stamped on it.(at least my non A/C motor did)  Look for those #s and post them please. 

The earlier years had silver zinc plated blower motors.  My 73 has a black motor.  I was the first person to take the blower motor off and there was black paint on it inside that was hidden from the elements.  The date code on the motor also corresponds to the build date of the car.  It wouldn't surprise me if the A/C blower motors changed to black as well. Since the A/C motors can be removed easily from the outside, there is a chance that it was changed or painted over the years.  I'd start looking for pictures of other 72+ A/C cars and gather more info.

Mrbill426

@Burdar thanks I will look for those numbers; hopefully they are embossed because the motor has been painted.

Quote from: Burdar on July 26, 2020, 05:26:18 AM
@Mrbill426  The motor should have a part# and date code stamped on it.(at least my non A/C motor did)  Look for those #s and post them please. 

The earlier years had silver zinc plated blower motors.  My 73 has a black motor.  I was the first person to take the blower motor off and there was black paint on it inside that was hidden from the elements.  The date code on the motor also corresponds to the build date of the car.  It wouldn't surprise me if the A/C blower motors changed to black as well. Since the A/C motors can be removed easily from the outside, there is a chance that it was changed or painted over the years.  I'd start looking for pictures of other 72+ A/C cars and gather more info.

Mrbill426

@Burdar here is a photo of the motor I took out.

Burdar

I believe 3443 is the date code.  That would be the 344th day of 1973.  I suppose it could also mean 1983 if it's a factory replacement?  Someone more knowledgeable then me can answer that.  Either way, it doesn't look like it's original to a 72.

I'd start doing some research on A/C blower motors and see if you can find evidence that they were black.

Mrbill426

Most of what I am finding they are black.  A friend has a 70 but it is a non-a/c car and his is shiny bare metal.  Mine has the right color hot wire but it was spliced in so maybe it is a wrecking yard find.
@Burdar  Thanks!

Quote from: Burdar on July 27, 2020, 05:53:21 AM
I believe 3443 is the date code.  That would be the 344th day of 1973.  I suppose it could also mean 1983 if it's a factory replacement?  Someone more knowledgeable then me can answer that.  Either way, it doesn't look like it's original to a 72.

I'd start doing some research on A/C blower motors and see if you can find evidence that they were black.