Main Menu

ACC Carpet - Incorrect Heel Pad for 70 Cuda?

Started by DeathProofCuda, July 13, 2020, 01:44:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DeathProofCuda

So I know that I am oversweating the details on a car that barely qualifies as a "driver" but I received my new ACC carpet today and after unboxing it I immediately noticed that the heel pad looked a bit odd (upper photo).  Ran into the garage to check my original and confirmed that the ribbing patterns are different (bottom photo). 

Is ACC really the only carpet option that we have these days, or does someone else make carpet with a correct heelpad?  My understanding is that even the carpet that ECS sells are made by ACC and that the only difference is that they are shipped flat.  However, I have a hard time imagining that Dave Walden would have tried to pass this off as "correct".  :notsure:

headejm

The heel pad on the top picture (new ACC) looks just like my original 1970 Challenger carpet. I'm not familiar with the pad pattern on second photo unless it's a Cuda vs. Challenger difference.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: headejm on July 13, 2020, 01:53:33 PM
The heel pad on the top picture (new ACC) looks just like my original 1970 Challenger carpet. I'm not familiar with the pad pattern on second photo unless it's a Cuda vs. Challenger difference.

Also wondering whether it may be a build date thing?  Do you know when your Challenger was built?  My 'Cuda was built fairly early, mid-September 1969.

anlauto

I've never seen a heel pad like your second picture, Are you certain it's factory carpet ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: anlauto on July 13, 2020, 02:28:43 PM
I've never seen a heel pad like your second picture, Are you certain it's factory carpet ?

Well I'm not the original owner of this car, but I have owned it since 1988.  The carpet was old and ratty then and looks to fit factory correct, so I am fairly certain that it is the original factory carpet.

I guess I'll assume from the answers so far that this is as correct as I'm going to get.  Thanks  :cheers:

ToxicWolf

My 70 Challenger pad looks exactly like the picture in headejm post.

My build date was late 69

anlauto

I haven't seen a reproduction carpet with a heel pad like yours, so, yup....I think you might be out of luck.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wanderlustin

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on July 13, 2020, 01:44:43 PM
So I know that I am oversweating the details on a car that barely qualifies as a "driver" but I received my new ACC carpet today and after unboxing it I immediately noticed that the heel pad looked a bit odd (upper photo).  Ran into the garage to check my original and confirmed that the ribbing patterns are different (bottom photo). 

Is ACC really the only carpet option that we have these days, or does someone else make carpet with a correct heelpad?  My understanding is that even the carpet that ECS sells are made by ACC and that the only difference is that they are shipped flat.  However, I have a hard time imagining that Dave Walden would have tried to pass this off as "correct".  :notsure:

I think @72fury had a heel pad like the one in the lower photo.  It has been a while but I seem to remember his 70 Challenger being an August 69-built car.

72fury

Finally! Someone else with the same heel pad!

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: 72fury on September 17, 2021, 09:32:05 AM
Finally! Someone else with the same heel pad!

@wanderlustin Thanks for the sharp eye and good memory! :bradsthumb: I've been meaning to drag this thread up again to see if anyone else out there had an early build car with a similar heel pad.  @72fury thanks for another data point supporting my theory that this may be an early build difference. :cheers:

headejm

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on July 13, 2020, 02:19:43 PM
Quote from: headejm on July 13, 2020, 01:53:33 PM

Also wondering whether it may be a build date thing?  Do you know when your Challenger was built?  My 'Cuda was built fairly early, mid-September 1969.

SPD508, Hamtramck, Challenger.  :cheers:

73-CudDah

Yes this is a 1973 Cuda heel pad. I have the original carpet going to replace it.

73-CudDah

Sorry for orientation gas pedal marked.