Main Menu

adding a center console - now or later?

Started by Dakota, February 18, 2018, 09:01:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I used the fender tag decoder (thanks Cody!) a little while ago.  My 70 Challenger originally had a center console and an automatic tranny.  It had been converted to a manual tranny with no center console at some point in its past.   The idea of putting in a center console is starting to grow on me, but I really don't want to drop more money on "optional" parts right now if I can postpone it.  The interior is completely out at this point.   How big a deal is it to add a console after the car is finished?   Best I can tell, I'd have to cut the carpet and install the console mounting bracket.   Any experience either way?   Thanks.   

1 Wild R/T

Are you gonna put an auto back too?   If not personally I'd leave the console out, it doesn't offer much space, & they often rattle....

Cuda Cody

If you are going to do for sure, then do it now while everything is out.  But if you are not sure if you want it or not, then leave it out and if you do want it later it's not hard to take the seats out and put it in.  It would take some welding of the brackets and stuff to get it back in there.

Dakota

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 18, 2018, 09:35:08 AM
Are you gonna put an auto back too?

I'm definitely going to stay with the manual tranny. 

303 Mopar

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 18, 2018, 09:35:08 AM
Are you gonna put an auto back too?   If not personally I'd leave the console out, it doesn't offer much space, & they often rattle....

:iagree:  Not only do they rattle, but they look unfinished because the hole is larger than the boot and there is a gap under the console on the drivers side.  IMO, the pistol grip by itself looks so clean and makes a statement!

RUNCHARGER

It's quite easy to add later actually. I would leave it out for sure. The console detracts from the killer look of the Pistol Grip IMO. Ha, ha. I must have mocked up this photo and not pushed the stick in all the way and left it in reverse. Usually the stupid console hides most of the shifter.
Sheldon

Rich G.

2 brackets and your done. I like the console. Nice place to put sun glasses,ez pass and coffee cup when cruising.

mopar jack

console with auto is what I have had for 40 plus years and I have always liked it. The 4 speed set up never looked right with the gap at the boot. I have a 4 speed no console in my road runner and that shifter is all business. The brackets are easy to install and you could just drill and bolt if you can't weld.

71GranCoupe

I am in agreement with the "NO" console with a 4 speed. Why hide the prestigious shifter with a console that is small and does nothing but rattle.  :alan2cents: :cheers:

Dakota

Thanks for the comments and photos guys.  I'm going to hold off putting one in.  It does look like the console hides the shifter.  And there are a few other things I need to buy that are more in the "must have" category... like wheels & tires.

Katfish

Here's my opinion, I have an auto with console, so take it for what it's worth.
If you plan to drive the car, console is super nice and useful.
For a pure show car or occasional driver, I'd leave the console off with a 4spd to show case that pistol grip.

Looks like they make brackets, you can alway use structural adhesive (stronger than welding) to add later if you decide to go that way.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ZEN357

I would do it while putting the interior back together.  No sense in doing things twice.

HP_Cuda

Funny I like it with the console as it shows like it's complete and not like a bare open expanse.

But it's just MHO.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Shane Kelley

It's funny how taste change with time. I used to like it without a console better. Like others have said it makes the pistol grip more a feature. But as time has gone on I find myself liking it with the console better. For me it makes the car look and feel just a little more high end. I like having it for my sunglasses, insurance card and garage door opener.  Very handy. It's all just a personal preference thing.