Main Menu

Challenger dash script

Started by Plumcrazzy, March 03, 2018, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Plumcrazzy

Having a discussion with a fellow Challenger owner who is restoring a '70 R/T SE. He sent me some pictures of his completed dash and I was confused regarding the Challenger script on the dash above the glove box. I was always under the impression that the script was "embossed" into the dash pad. The pictures he sent showed a chrome script attached to the surface. Is this correct? Was the R/T SE different than the R/T in '70 ? My '70 R/T dash pad was restored by "Just Dashes" and the Challenger script was embossed into the surface of the pad. I believe the following years they used a plastic panel with the script engraved and then attached to the pad. Any experts out there?

Jim AAR

You are correct, 1970 was the ONLY year that it was a script in the dash. 1971-74 it was a plate....

headejm

:iagree: My 1970 dash script needs to be painted silver but you can see that it is embossed in the dash. It's common for the silver paint to be worn off of the script and it's an easy repaint.

6bblgt

the dash pad is recessed/embossed in the shape of the emblem - just the face of the emblem should be chrome

the chrome wasn't very durable & didn't last long, unless well cared for

340challconvert

The Challenger script in the 1970 only dash was actually a separate piece that was held into the dash with three pins that actually pressed into corresponding holes in the dash pad. I have an extra script somewhere that I will try to find and post a picture of.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

70/6chall

The Challenger script on my original dash pad was just black, never chrome. The replacement OEM pad I put in was also black script.   Thanks,   Al

HEMICUDA

Both Cuda and Challenger had vacuum metalized scripts, didn't hold up very well.

screamindriver

Agreed, all 70 challengers had the"chrome" script facing..It quickly wore off just like the dash's air conditioning vent perimeters...Here's a pic of a low mileage survivor...

Plumcrazzy

Still somewhat confused. Some of the responses above claim just embossed. Some claim embossed with painted (silver) letters. Others claim a separate Challenger script pushed into the embossed space.  :dunno:  :help:

HEMICUDA

It was not silver, shiny vacuum metalized that turned silver over time.  The sun beats the shine out of any metalized part and turns, what looks like, silver paint.  All the scripts were separate from the vinyl.  They are attached thru the vinyl with x3 pins and push on retainer clips same as the "Barracuda" script on the 70 pad.

6bblgt

Quote from: Plumcrazzy on March 04, 2018, 06:12:36 PM
Still somewhat confused. Some of the responses above claim just embossed. Some claim embossed with painted (silver) letters. Others claim a separate Challenger script pushed into the embossed space.  :dunno:  :help:

everyone is just about on the same page - info just being relayed/worded differently

* the '70 e-body dash pad had an emblem on it "Barracuda" or "Challenger"
* the top surface of the emblem was vacuum metalized (to give the illusion of a "chromed" part)
* there was a relief/embossed shape of emblem in the pad to receive the emblem

any disagreement?

1 Wild R/T

Both of the above posters have it correct as others have stated...  As for Al's not chromed, he didn't buy the car new, nearly new but not new....  The chrome (vacuum metalized) wasn't very durable, the heat in the Riverside area would be one factor in it's early demise also when the car lot detailer cleaned the dash is he used something like 409 thats harsh enough to take the finish off...