Main Menu

Another dash question?

Started by 750-h2, January 18, 2018, 10:06:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am now reassembling my dash pad which was already completely apart when I bought the car 28 years ago. I have two questions. I have a coloured dash and when I bolt the dash pad to super structure you can see the superstructure through the defrost vents where it has the 4 bolt holes to mount the assembly to the car. Should the super structure by the bolt holes be painted dash colour, black or left natural?

Also what is the size and head shape for these four mounting bolts?  Thanks!   

Cuda Cody

The windshield area and pillars should be blacked out so you do not see any body color.  Click on the Engineering Drawing "Blackout Windshield, Sill & Pillar"

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/cuda_challenger_tsb_specifications_engineering_illustrations_drawings/

750-h2

Thanks Cody. My car is F8 so according to this engineer drawing there is no blackout around the windshield. What I am concerned about is the metal of the dash super structure that is visible through the dash defrost vents.  Also need size and head shape of the 4 mounting bolts [or screws] that are located in the defrost vents,

Cuda Cody

Can you post a photo of the area that you are worried about?  I'm not able to visualize what your concern is.  Your dash frame is black, right?  Or is it a colored dash frame and that's what you are worried about?  You can always just black out a bit of the area of the metal frame if you don't want to have it seen.

blown motor

Do make sure you paint that area before putting the dash pad back in. I didn't do that and now I regret it. Don't want to take it all apart again to paint that. My car was originally yellow but that area was black so I'm going to guess that the dash frames were all black regardless of body colour. I apologize for the first picture being blurry.
I bought a flexible extension to ease the pain of putting the bolts in with the windshield installed.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Shane Kelley

Upper dash frame bolts.

Shane Kelley

Some dashes came in color and match the color of the pad. Be tough to paint yours now. That dash install is like 100 times more easy with the windshield removed.  :alan2cents:

750-h2

Thanks guys . I will paint that area with black paint. Shane are those bolts 1/4 -20 ?

Shane Kelley

I believe 1/4 x 20 is correct. The bolt heads are really low profile.

750-h2

quapman

Nope, Those are 10-24 with a pointed, tapered end for easy installation. Black phosphate, I believe.

750-h2

Quote from: quapman on January 18, 2018, 01:57:00 PM
Nope, Those are 10-24 with a pointed, tapered end for easy installation. Black phosphate, I believe.

Thanks!

anlauto

Quote from: Shane Kelley on January 18, 2018, 01:31:39 PM
I believe 1/4 x 20 is correct. The bolt heads are really low profile.

Not correct.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Quote from: quapman on January 18, 2018, 01:57:00 PM

Correct.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration