Main Menu

Automatic column shifter to automatic manual floorshifter conversion

Started by CudaMoparRay, November 08, 2017, 02:00:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaMoparRay

Slowly but surely continuing my Automatic column shifter to automatic manual floor shifter conversion. A few pics of the beginning and how I have it mocked up now. Just getting the guts to cut the floor board and continue with the job.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

So I understand, you are taking a four speed shifter and making it a floor shifter?  Kinda cool.  Never seen anyone do that.  Let us know how it works. 

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 08, 2017, 03:48:56 PM
So I understand, you are taking a four speed shifter and making it a floor shifter?  Kinda cool.  Never seen anyone do that.  Let us know how it works. 
Quote from: anlauto on November 08, 2017, 03:46:49 PM
What exactly is a "automatic manual floor shifter " ? :huh:

Originally had this project posted here starting on Reply #482:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion/2/what-did-you-do-with-your-ebody-today/1154/480
but decided to put it in a post of it's own here instead.

To clarify, I am attempting to change an automatic column shifter to a floor automatic shifter but to make it look like a 4 speed manual floor stick shifter.
Everything in the photos is just a mock up and nothing is installed as of yet. I was waiting for the shift boot and chrome ring to continue the process.
People at the Fall Fling did not even notice it was a column shifter because their eyes went right to the mock floor shifter. And that was before I put the boot and ring on.
So it is an automatic and will continue to be an automatic except with the illusion of being a 4 speed standard manual stick which as far as I know never came that way with bench seats.

Cuda Cody

The bench with the 4 speed shifter is going to make a lot of people take a 2nd look.   :D

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 09, 2017, 09:02:29 AM
The bench with the 4 speed shifter is going to make a lot of people take a 2nd look.   :D

Thanks Cody, I hope I can finish it right  :smile:

71GranCoupe

That will definitely be an eye catcher. And I thought it was already done.  Keep us posted how it progresses.  :cheers:

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on November 09, 2017, 05:22:45 PM
That will definitely be an eye catcher. And I thought it was already done.  Keep us posted how it progresses.  :cheers:

I decided to take it to a friends shop next week sometime and have him cut it our for me in that he has a shop, car lift and all the proper tools.
Wasn't sure I could pull it off in my garage with just jack stands.
Will take pictures and do a write up about it then. :wrenching: