Main Menu

Best Source for Gran Coupe Style Headliner Material

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, August 16, 2022, 11:55:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Looking for Gran Coupe headliner material in black, is the consensus still Legendary is closest to the original, or are there better alternatives?  Are the sail panels also covered in the same material?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

benguin

There are only a few vendors that have come up on the boards for the soft headliner.  Legendary. stockinteriors, and some others come to mind.  I needed a repair on one of my sail panels and a local shop was able to get an excellent match from their usual suppliers. Might be worth contacting a few places for samples to compare.

The sail panels are covered in the same soft cloth as the headliner.   Over the years, the glue and foam breaks down and leads to  'saggy headliner syndrome'.

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: benguin on August 16, 2022, 02:11:54 PM
There are only a few vendors that have come up on the boards for the soft headliner.  Legendary. stockinteriors, and some others come to mind.  I needed a repair on one of my sail panels and a local shop was able to get an excellent match from their usual suppliers. Might be worth contacting a few places for samples to compare.

The sail panels are covered in the same soft cloth as the headliner.   Over the years, the glue and foam breaks down and leads to  'saggy headliner syndrome'.

Thanks for the reply - I am not sure if what I have is original or not - it looks more grey to me than black.  Anyone have opinions as to the Legendary compared to original let me know.  I have some good supply houses in my area, but again, I do not have an original sample to compare it to
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

headejm

I used Legendary for my SE black headliner after researching several places and getting samples. Not exactly like the original but the best I could find. Yes, the sail panels are covered in the same material. Three yards of material should get the job done.

benguin

@70_440-6Cuda  I might be able to get a snippet from a back side of mine, if there is enough tucked under the moldings somewhere.

Definitely won't be a full sized swatch, unless someone was being extra sloppy on the line that day.
  Ben

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: benguin on August 16, 2022, 06:22:16 PM
@70_440-6Cuda  I might be able to get a snippet from a back side of mine, if there is enough tucked under the moldings somewhere.

Definitely won't be a full sized swatch, unless someone was being extra sloppy on the line that day.
  Ben

Let me know, that would be great!

benguin

@70_440-6Cuda  I managed to find a place behind the right side sail panel where the cutout for the coat hook goes that was a good candidate for a snip.

It's not big, but should give a good representation of the color and weave.  For the interior side, there should be a thin foam layer- that's the part that breaks down over the years.  I see no sign of it on the back side where it was wrapped around the fiberboard.

If you'd like me to send it, PM me a mailing address and I'll get in out in the mail on Monday.
  Ben