Main Menu

Black Interior Panel Paint

Started by Daveh, January 12, 2020, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

So it looks like SEM is the paint to use for my interior panels. 

My questions is what color black?  Satin or I see a landau black or is it something different?  Thanks

I see that Herb's has their own interior paint now.  Anyone us that? 

usraptor

I used SEM Black Landau on all my interior trim pieces.  Looks very nice and very close to original IMHO.

Daveh

That number on Amazon is SEM but it's just called trim black. 

Daveh

Just read this on the Amazon comments.

Trim black is flat -- landau is glossy
By larry on March 6, 2017

Can anyone confirm?

Dakota

I used Herb's stuff.   It has a flat finish.  I'm happy with it.

Burdar

@Daveh  Landau Black is what you want.  It's not super glossy but it has a little more gloss then the Trim Black.  Trim Black is formulated to stand up on the exterior.  The Landau is an interior paint that can be used on carpet as well.  Make sure to clean your panels VERY VERY well.  Use SEM Adhesion Promoter, followed by the Landau black.  Read the instructions on the Adhesion Promoter.  You need to mist a light coat, then wait 15-20 minutes.  Then a heavier coat and wait 15-20 minutes.  Then "mist" the landau black on top.  A couple light mist coats will do it.  It will be hard to tell the parts are painted.

The lower A-pillar has been sprayed with Landau Black...the upper one has not.

anlauto

:iagree: I agree Landau Black is what you want for interior panels :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

Thanks for the detail Burdar I appreciate it.  I will go that route. 

MOPAR MITCH

Good info!   I am considering to change my white interior... to become black ... already have black Recaro-type front racing seats... would be changing the rear seat cover to become black... and change the headliner... and then spray paint or die all the interior panels.

As much as I've always liked white interiors, I will admit that white is very difficult to keep clean and bright, especially when the car is used at racing tracks (HSAX/HPDE/road course racing events).   I've said:  "Its not a show car... just a really clean looking race car!"

Is the SEM a paint or a dye?

JS29

Mrbill426

@anlauto  the dash pad too?

Quote from: anlauto on January 13, 2020, 07:48:37 AM
:iagree: I agree Landau Black is what you want for interior panels :twothumbsup:

Floyd

is the same SEM product used on the dash pad?  Or do they have something more flexible and
specific to vinyl?

70 Challenger Lover

I like to also put a coat of clear over it for added durability as well as a little more shine. I like that look like you just wiped it down with some kind of vinyl dressing like armor all. And with the clear, you can wipe the dust off with a soft cotton rag and it looks new again.

anlauto

Quote from: Floyd on July 25, 2020, 12:06:28 PM
is the same SEM product used on the dash pad?  Or do they have something more flexible and
specific to vinyl?

Yes...SEM on the dash pad too
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration