Main Menu

Body plug advice

Started by nsmall, November 10, 2017, 04:43:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So I'm about to put the sound deadener down and I have an awful lot of body plugs here.  I'm assuming I just put them in wherever they fit best?  The two orange ones go in the trunk?

I have a 73 Cuda and some of my body plugs were metal with screws so not sure if I have to reuse them or I can just put in whatever fits?  @Burdar

I was curious if I missing anything in my order of operations as I was planning to put the body plugs in and then lay the sound deadener.  I don't plan on putting any wires underneath the sound deadener so I'm assuming all I need to do is put in the body plugs and lay down the sound deadener? Thank you

nsmall

I have one more question. Do I need to use any sort of glue or anything on these plugs or just shove them in there and call it a day?  Thanks again.

Neil

Cuda Cody

They'll pop in.  Sometimes you can use the back end of a screw driver or some sockets to get them to go in easier.  Be cause not to tear them if you are using older plugs.  You might need to use a little rubber conditioner to make the push in easier.

Jim AAR

I know it sounds gross, but put some saliva (spit) on the edges of the rubber and they`ll slip right in.....

Burdar

The gray ones go under the car in the trunk drop-offs. Orange ones in the trunk where you have them. There should be two metal ones.

nsmall

Thanks guys.  @Burdar can I just use the rubber plugs in place of the metal ones?  Seems like the rubber seals would seal better vs the metal ones?

On a totally unrelated note I have this vent cable that was never hooked up and so I'm not certain where it goes.

Does it go here?

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Usually under the ashtray , there should be 2 though .
there is a specific place for the metal ones just trying to remember where , I keep thinking under the rear seat toward the sides  :thinking:

Burdar

If you have enough larger rubber plugs, I don't see why you couldn't use them in place of the metal ones.

The two vent cables attach to the bottom of the dash frame in the center of the car. There should be one for the drivers fresh air door and one for the flapper on the heater box.

nsmall

Thanks a lot you guys for your help.  Im getting close to finishing. 98% of the parts are restored I just got to put the car back together.  It runs!!!

Chryco Psycho

:veryexcited:

You should not have spare plugs , just enough for every hole

Jim AAR

The metal ones were designed for multiple access use. They should have a flange on them and the flange had a gasket on them, they are used in the rear foot well, you should be able to see the adjuster for your e-brake cable on the drivers side. Couldn`t figure out why the one in the rear passenger side foot well was there though, just to match i guess, dunno.

I used a piece of thin adhesive foam sheet (1/8 inch, get it at Michaels or a craft shop) and traced it out with an exacto and then cut out the middle with a socket of appropriate size. you will want to use these ones there otherwise the rubber ones will leak because they won`t cover the screwhole. Put the indent to the floor and tighten the screw, then put some RV sealant over the screw so it won`t leak. Even a little water in there will get wet and because of the carpet and insulation will never dry and could potentially rust, better to be safe than sorry when it`s in a place you can`t see and rarely service.

Jim AAR

OOps forgot, the tab part goes on the underside of the floorboard and then screw it in, put the gasket on the top of this part.

Jim AAR

Pic

nsmall

The sound deadener I'm using is pretty stiff as it has  a layer of metal/aluminum inside of it.  should I cut a slit in the sound deadner on the floorboard channels to try to get the sound deadener to fit tight in that area or do you think I should just be fine leaving it alone as it did stick well around this area.  Thanks

@Claudia I know you recently did your car so maybe you can chime in.

1 Wild R/T

I did something a little different but it might give you an idea... My sound deadener on this car is a sprayed coating... I had a buddy that owned a sign shop make me up precut circle decals which are about 1/4" larger than the biggest diameter of the body plugs.......