Main Menu

Brake pedal shaft removal

Started by Drivun, April 04, 2018, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Drivun

Shouldn't the brake pedal shaft just slide out to the left of the pedal after you remove the nut on the right side?  Mine doesn't.  Cant even rotate the shaft using the square knobbie on the left end.  What am I missing?  I even tried hammering the right side (threaded) end but no movement. Pedal swings fine but shaft is frozen.  Only thing I can think of is that I am going to have to cut it out. Converting auto car to manual so need to replace the shaft.
Looking for ideas.
Steve

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site Steve
if you have power brakes you have a lever that increases the pressure so there is a second cross pin to release the cantelever

Drivun

Thx  Psycho.  I have already disconnected the booster link. Is that what you are referring to?  I will take a look today to see if there is another shaft creating tension. Concerned that in coating under dash,  prior owner coated end of pin with black paint...possibly POR.  I have cleaned off exposed area but  wondering if paint  seeped into gap and pin is effectively "glued in" 
Steve

Chryco Psycho

Yes the cantelever for the booster is what I am referring to

anlauto

You're not worried about damaging the threads, I would just hit it with a hammer, if that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer :rofl:  Sounds like it's just stuck with the paint or whatever. If you've removed the big bolt from the brake pedal, there won't be any other tension on the pedal shaft. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Drivun

Thx Alan, Just wanted to make sure I was correct in assuming nothing else was threaded before I go at it.
Neat to be getting input in Georgia from another helpful Torontonian - After graduating from Queens Univ., my career started in Toronto -Young St., Port Union and Port Credit. Not missing the snow though.
Steve

Drivun

Thanks to all who contributed. After 5 hours with a dremel to remove paint and a 4lb sledge hammer it final came out. Not sure the paint came into play as the shaft still had to be hammered through all the way through the brake pedal to the last inch. Looks like the entire pin not encased in the plastic bushing was swollen with rust. Glad i am retired and not paying someone else +$100/hr to do this!
Thanks again everyone.
Steve

RUNCHARGER

Glad to hear you got it out. Canadians all seem to come in the extra stubborn size.
Sheldon