Main Menu

Picture of center speaker grill for 1970 Cuda/Challengers

Started by 71GranCoupe, January 23, 2017, 02:05:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Yes, it's the post height like someone point out before we were able to confirm.  Another cool piece of history documented!   :clapping:

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 24, 2017, 09:26:14 AM
All good information . . . so it has been confirmed that the 70 challenger grill is different!   :bigthumb:

cataclysm80

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 24, 2017, 09:26:14 AM
All good information . . . so it has been confirmed that the 70 challenger grill is different!   :bigthumb:

Yes, 70 Challenger is different.

(I see now that Cody already answered this question.  Didn't see his response at first because it was on page 2. :) )

cataclysm80

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on January 23, 2017, 08:46:05 PM
Thanks Cody. It looks like one could shorten the two longer standoffs so they would work on a 70 if need be.  :thinking:

Yes, if you have the wrong grill for your dash, you can cut down the legs, or add some washers to make the grill fit.

If Cody has both styles handy, a measurement of the difference might be handy, so that people know how much material to remove, or how many washers to add.
Also, If I remember correctly, all 4 legs aren't different, only some of them  (maybe 2 on one end?).  Knowing which end would be useful.

My parts are in the attic, and I don't have my pics handy.

Again, I'm pretty sure it's just the 70 Challenger that has a different grill. 
70 Barracuda & 'Cuda are the same as the 71-74 models.  Main difference is the nameplate on the dash vs Barracuda script.

cataclysm80

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on January 23, 2017, 08:00:30 PM
Now you created another question on the outer grills. Mainly being,what is the difference on the Challenger vs the Cuda's then? :clueless:

The 70 Challenger dash pad is shaped a little differently than all the other E body dash pads.
The out board (stereo) speaker grills for a 70 Challenger have a slightly different curvature to them.

Think of it like the Challenger vs. Barracuda exterior door handles.  Either will work, but only one really fits well.

Identification is pretty easy.   The bottom side is marked.    J for Challenger  &  B for Barracuda, just like the first digit of the VIN.
71-74 Challengers use the B grills though because they switched to all cars having the same dash pad.

cataclysm80

"J" Challenger
They're also marked L or R for which side they go on.
Marked at bottom right corner in this pic.

cataclysm80

Here's center grill I had laying around.
I thought it was 70 Challenger, but I'd have to check the parts book to be sure.  (or just try it on the dash)

headejm

The red one you are holding looks different from my 1970 grill. Yours has 4 tall posts whereas mine has 2 tall posts and 2 short posts. My p/n is 2984783.

cataclysm80

Yes, I noticed.  My part # is 2984028   same as some of the ones Cody posted.
Maybe this one is not a 70.  I'd haven't looked up the part # or tried to fit it onto a car yet.
I think maybe I bought it to use on a 1970 car years ago, but never did.  Was probably planning to cut the legs.

Do they make reproduction grills now?

headejm

Yes, they are reproduced. Classic Industries has them in black only.

cataclysm80

Good, I'll get a black reproduction for my 70 Challenger, and save this red one for someone who needs it.
That's probably better than painting it black and cutting it up.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

71GranCoupe

Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 24, 2017, 11:23:14 PM
"J" Challenger

Thanks for the picture of that one!!!! I bought a pair from a member on the CC site and lucked out, they are for the Cuda/Barracuda's. I would have been a little disappointed if I had to find another set. But as I am typing this, how do the 71-74 grills work for the Cuda vs the Chally? They have the same dash pad, or at least that is what I have always been told.  :notsure: :dunno:

Cuda Cody

When working with dashes that have been recovered it just takes a bit of time to get them to work / fit, but almost all of them can be made to fit well.  I think that's why Just Dashes supplies the center speaker grille when they do a dash.  They can make sure it fits good and send it out with a perfect matched grille.

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on January 28, 2017, 01:10:52 PM
"J" Challenger

Thanks for the picture of that one!!!! I bought a pair from a member on the CC site and lucked out, they are for the Cuda/Barracuda's. I would have been a little disappointed if I had to find another set. But as I am typing this, how do the 71-74 grills work for the Cuda vs the Chally? They have the same dash pad, or at least that is what I have always been told.  :notsure: :dunno:

cataclysm80

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on January 28, 2017, 01:10:52 PM
"J" Challenger

As mentioned above
Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 24, 2017, 03:06:05 PM
71-74 Challengers use the B grills though because they switched to all cars having the same dash pad.
Only the 1970 Challenger uses the J Challenger grills, so they're harder to find.