Main Menu

Switching from standard non-rallye gauges to Dakota Digital rallye gauges

Started by Deezel, July 10, 2023, 11:49:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Deezel

I'm rounding up some more parts for my cuda build. The car currently has a non-rallye cluster and I'd like to go to a RTX Dakota Digital rallye dash.
I'm going to be re-wiring the car so I'm not worried about wiring harness and I'm going to be putting in an aftermarket ac unit so I'm not worried about lower dash controls/trim either.

I know I'm going to have to purchase the rallye gauge bezel kit and a front woodgrain kit. Is there anything else I'm going to need to make the switch?

TIA

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

anlauto

The metal bracket in the corner that retains the 3-4 switches, is different from rally to non-rally as well
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

The heater control panel will have to be changed, Tonys moparparts sell's new reproduction pieces for that.    :alan2cents:

anlauto

He's adding aftermarket AC, so hopefully he goes with Vintage Air, because they include a nice control panel for a rally dash :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Deezel

Aftermarket AC will be Vintage Air.

Does anyone know if I'll need the turn signal and brake light lenses with the tubes?
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

JS29

Roseville now sells the lens separately from the kit, $3.50.    :bigthumb:

anlauto

Quote from: Deezel on July 10, 2023, 03:59:38 PM
Aftermarket AC will be Vintage Air.

Does anyone know if I'll need the turn signal and brake light lenses with the tubes?

It depends entirely how you choose to wire it. If you want to use the "factory" signal light and brake light lenses, then you have to wire them separately and run a ground wire to each. On the first E-Body I did I just blocked of the three holes with black Gaffer's tape and used the indicators in the Dakota Dash.... In my car I wired the factory indicators.
As mentioned, you do NOT need the tubes, but your lenses need to be in nice shape. The lenses are NOT included with the reproduction bezels, but it's WAY cheaper to find used bezels and just replace the woodgrain.

Deezel

Quote from: anlauto on July 11, 2023, 10:52:08 AM
It depends entirely how you choose to wire it. If you want to use the "factory" signal light and brake light lenses, then you have to wire them separately and run a ground wire to each. On the first E-Body I did I just blocked of the three holes with black Gaffer's tape and used the indicators in the Dakota Dash.... In my car I wired the factory indicators.
As mentioned, you do NOT need the tubes, but your lenses need to be in nice shape. The lenses are NOT included with the reproduction bezels, but it's WAY cheaper to find used bezels and just replace the woodgrain.

Thanks Alan.

If you (or anyone else on here) have a lead on a complete, good condition used bezel cheaper than a reproduction, I'm all ears. I've been looking for awhile now and still have not found one cheaper, in good condition. All of the ones I find that are cheaper have issues or don't include the switch panel. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place for one.  :dunno:
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Blowout

@71vert340 just recently posted about maybe selling his.  Not sure if has decided to, but he's a great guy to deal with.

Deezel

Quote from: JS29 on July 10, 2023, 02:11:58 PM
The heater control panel will have to be changed, Tonys moparparts sell's new reproduction pieces for that.    :alan2cents:

Looks like I am going to have to get the heater control panel for my car. Vintage Air does make a controller that will work but it only comes in their kit for cars without factory air. My car has factory air so the kit is different. I'm pretty sure if I called them, they would substitute the controller for me but I think I like the "factory" panel look a little better. I had to replace the radio bezel so if I get the control panel from Tony's, both sides will match.
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

anlauto

Quote from: Deezel on July 16, 2023, 08:13:39 AM

Looks like I am going to have to get the heater control panel for my car. Vintage Air does make a controller that will work but it only comes in their kit for cars without factory air. My car has factory air so the kit is different. I'm pretty sure if I called them, they would substitute the controller for me but I think I like the "factory" panel look a little better. I had to replace the radio bezel so if I get the control panel from Tony's, both sides will match.

Are you sure you're dealing with "Vintage Air" and NOT "Classic Air"....What does the control panel from Vintage Air look like if you have factory AC ?

Deezel

Quote from: anlauto on July 17, 2023, 08:12:16 AM
Quote from: Deezel on July 16, 2023, 08:13:39 AM

Are you sure you're dealing with "Vintage Air" and NOT "Classic Air"....What does the control panel from Vintage Air look like if you have factory AC ?

Yes, Vintage Air.

Here's what the control panel for the Rallye dash with AC looks like:

https://www.vintageair.com/custom/product-pop.php?pn=471076-EDA
Lonnie
1973 'cuda