Main Menu

Challenger dash emblem

Started by Mr Lee, January 28, 2020, 06:36:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Lee

So, I have a fresh repop dash pad (black) and am getting ready to paint it (green) and am wondering about the Challenger script emblem.  ... Any suggestions on what to do with it to keep it from getting painted green?  I was gonna just paint it with the dash and then go back over the top of the letters with some silver paint.  But the letters are 3 dimensional.  The top surface of the letters is silver, and the sides are black.  So should the sides of the letters be the same color as the dash or should they be black?  Not sure how I would get them black again 

Another question is ... the script should be chrome yes?  Not just silver paint.  Any suggestions on how to re-create that?  From what I've read on here in another thread, you don't want to try to remove this emblem from a new dash pad or you'll tear it up.  Dont wanna do that.  Otherwise I could just buy a repop emblem and stick it on with the chrome already on there. 

Anyone done any silver leaf on there maybe?  I wonder if that would work
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

EV2RTSE

I don't think you'll be happy with painting the script emblem. Pretty sure they plastic-chrome that, best to leave it that way. Maybe try taking a Q-tip and some petroleum jelly and carefully apply it the the chromed area of the emblem. Then dye the pad, and wipe off the emblem after you're done.

Edit: maybe a pariffin stick or chapstick would be easier to work with, but you get the idea.
I think the emblem comes out if you're careful-
https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/how-do-i-remove-the-challenger-script-from-a-1970-dash.14036/
Maybe check with Just Dashes and ask them if the emblem can be removed without damaging the pad. If you do damage the emblem I'm sure they can get you another one.

:bigthumb:

Mr Lee

Yeah I think the best way would be to remove it.  If I can get it off then maybe I'll buy a repop one cause the one that came on the dash is definitely not plastic chromed.  It's just silver paint.  Not bad, but would be nice to have the right one.   

750-h2

I also had to paint my new UR dash from black to green. I removed the emblem and then installed a new dash emblem that I purchased from Year One. The YO emblems is metal with real chrome and the script is just like the original. Its much nicer than the one that came with the reproduction dash.

Mr Lee

Quote from: 750-h2 on January 29, 2020, 05:55:00 AM
I also had to paint my new UR dash from black to green. I removed the emblem and then installed a new dash emblem that I purchased from Year One. The YO emblems is metal with real chrome and the script is just like the original. Its much nicer than the one that came with the reproduction dash.

I have seen this Year One dash emblem mentioned several times in other threads when I did a search on this forum.   And I've visited the Year One website 3 times and I can't find the emblem.  All I see is the later version that is a rectangular plate.  Or the script barracuda emblem,  They have the script 3D Challenger one there?  I must be missing something.  Cant' find it.  Maybe they stopped carrying it?

So the emblem just pulled out of the dash?  Just lift up on it? 

anlauto

I agree, just remove the emblem, paint the dash and put it back on or install a new one.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

750-h2

The one I bought from Year One about a year ago is definitely metal. It has the same mounting pin location as the original which lined up perfectly with the holes in my reproduction UR dash. Here is a link.https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/vc70c

HEMICUDA

Wow, not sure how to address that question.  Where did you get the pad?  All original "Challenger" and "Barracuda" emblems were attached to the vinyl with threat cutter nuts before it was vacuum over the foam.  How was the reproduction applied?  Just glued on? 

All 70 "Challenger" and "Barracuda" scripted dash emblems had a black perimeter and the face vacuum metalized no matter what color the pad was.

Mr Lee

Ok, so... the pad is from Just Dashes.  And, apparently they do not apply the emblem the way Dodge did with the pins and the backplate thingies.  They just glue it on with like 3 dabs of glue.  Pulled it off with little dentist picks. It came off in like 10 seconds.   ... And I was worried.  HA!
Thanks everyone for the help. 
And it looks like the repops come in metal or plastic.  I would think the metal would be the way to go - maybe it's actual chrome instead of plastic chrome?
The originals were metal, yeah?

anlauto

Yup, the reproductions come off pretty easy.

Here are pictures of the backside of an original 1970 Barracuda dash emblem. You can see clearly how they are held on by tiny, maybe 1/16 size, PUSH NUTS. It's nearly impossible to remove the emblem on an original dash pad without breaking the pins. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Mr Lee on January 29, 2020, 08:47:51 AM
Ok, so... the pad is from Just Dashes.  And, apparently they do not apply the emblem the way Dodge did with the pins and the backplate thingies.  They just glue it on with like 3 dabs of glue.  Pulled it off with little dentist picks. It came off in like 10 seconds.   ... And I was worried.  HA!
Thanks everyone for the help. 
And it looks like the repops come in metal or plastic.  I would think the metal would be the way to go - maybe it's actual chrome instead of plastic chrome?
The originals were metal, yeah?

All originals were vacuum metalized ABS black plastic.

750-h2

Yes the OE badge was plastic with vacuum applied chrome. The YO badge that I received looks just like the OE but is chromed metal which is much more durable. Its a nice piece, you will not be disappointed. :bigthumb:

mccannix

Original Challenger badge had 5 small rectangular retainers on the tabs...a beatch to remove without breaking