Main Menu

Challenger Door Panel Pull Cup Install Issue

Started by manycj, August 02, 2017, 07:39:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

manycj

I am having a bear of a time getting the door pull cup screw holes to align on my new driver's door panel.  The right one went on easily.

All of the door components are original except for the panel and the arm rest pad. Both I purchased from Roseville, so I know that they are the best repo parts I can get. Ignoring the pull cup, the panel fits quite nicely, including the window crank handle clearing the panel.

What I am seeing is when I put the pull cup, bracket and new armrest on the panel, is that the holes on the bracket don't line up with the pull cup. I have to put a screw driver through the big mounting holes to get them to align on the bench (attached picture shows how it is supposed to line up). When I install the panel on the door I can't get the pull cup holes to line up with the clips on the door. I can only get then as high as indicated in the second picture. I can't seem to push the panel in far enough to use a line-up punch so that I can put in the Phillip screws. 

It appears to me the problem is related to how the pull cup is oriented on the panel.

I am at work now, so I am hoping to come up with some ideas for tonight when I try to tackle it again.

Right now I'm thinking I should try the original arm rests to see if the new ones are the issue.

Perhaps some of you have stumbled across this problem and worked out the solution ?

Chris

<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

Cuda Cody

The door panel is new, right?  And the door cups are new?  Have you tried the original ones?  I've only ever tried new door panels with used door handle cups and they have always lined up great.  Tried using the new door panel with the original door cups.

manycj

I tried an original armrest last night and of course, it turned out that it was the new armrest. Here's a some side by side pictures showing that the original one is fatter along the bottom and more importantly the indent for the pull cup is much taller on the original. I only had one good original one so I cleaned it up and installed it on the driver's door panel.  The repo one on the right side seemed to work so I am going to live with it.

My interior is almost done now. I just have to reupholster the seats and install the steering wheel.

thanks
Chris

blown motor

Wow. They're not even close. Are you sure the new one is for Challenger and not Cuda? Or maybe there is a year difference. Just asking questions. Check with Roseville on those questions. They're good but nobody is perfect and mistakes can happen. Perhaps the armrest got put in the wrong box after being on display at a show. Had it happen one time with a mirror.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

MoparDave

Quote from: blown motor on August 03, 2017, 05:46:07 AM
Wow. They're not even close. Are you sure the new one is for Challenger and not Cuda? Or maybe there is a year difference. Just asking questions. Check with Roseville on those questions. They're good but nobody is perfect and mistakes can happen. Perhaps the armrest got put in the wrong box after being on display at a show. Had it happen one time with a mirror.

Cuda and challenger are completely different. Only 2 manufactures on the challenger arm pad.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Shane Kelley

Quote from: blown motor on August 03, 2017, 05:46:07 AM
Like Dave said. Whole different shape and design. Since there is only one company making them it's down to finding originals or modifying the repops to make them work. Unfortunately! :( 

70/6chall

Chris......... Was looking at the pic of your door panel and back 1/4 panel. I totally love the look of your plastic and the way it's all coming together. I do hope that door pull cup snafu comes together for you. Be shame for something like that to impede progress. Looks great buddy.   Thanks,   Al

manycj

thanks.  I bought the door panels and rear 1/4 panels from Roseville.  The lines came out pretty even which probably means I did a have way decent job lining up the door.

Chris

70/6chall

Chris......... You did a great job lining up the doors and what I see of your interior plastic pieces everything looks 2nd day dealer purchased. I've always loved the clean crisp lines of the new for the times Chrys. plastic interiors. All of the plastic interior pieces in my '70 Challenger are OEM/SE pieces still look factory new. Just new carpet, headliner and had the seats reupholstered. The dash pad is OEM, perfect, unblemished condition. I had the upholsterer make custom protective mats for dash and the pkg. tray and upper part of back seat. Couple of pics to view.    Thanks,   Al