Main Menu

Challenger Sun Visor Mounting Plate With Pics

Started by Daveh, June 18, 2020, 07:54:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to install the sun visor mounting plate into my convertible and one of the mounting nuts is missing (circled in pic).  I figured I would just install a new 10-24 rivnut but the hole is too large for the rivnut.  Any thoughts on how to make this work?  Thanks

Dave

Burdar

If it were me, I'd try to find a solution without having to get the hole welded up.  I had two ideas that might work.

1. Install a rivenut that does fit.  Then drill it out and install another rivenut into the first one.

2. Epoxy a thin washer over the hole and let it cure.  Then you can use the correct sized rivenut though the washer.  If you do this, you might be able to fish the washer in to place on the back side.  Use a bolt/nut through the washer to hold it tight to the metal while it cures.

I had to do something similar to one screw hole on the inside back window trim on my Challenger.  I used a panel bond adhesive and attached a small piece of sheet metal over the bad hole.  Then I drilled a new hole to install the screw.

Rich G.

Another idea is cut a piece of 1/4" flat stock, tap it to the size you need. Cut it longer then the hole but wide enough that you can slip it in and sort of be able to slide it around and get that screw started first.  It will clamp down when everything is tightened. I don't remember how much room is there to work with.