Main Menu

Convertible Hydraulic Pump install questions

Started by 70vert, May 02, 2023, 04:28:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

I finally had time to install the new top motor but want to confirm a couple things. Disclaimer: I'm old  ::)  So I can't remember which hoses go to the cylinder top verses the cylinder bottom. Maybe it doesn't matter as long at both hoses from the back of the motor (facing the trunk) and both from the front of the motor (facing the seat) are consistent top vs bottom?
I currently have the back side hoses connected to the top of the cylinder openings and the front side hoses connected to the lower cylinder openings. Tomorrow I will be doing the pump priming and hopefully will soon be able to lower & raise the top!!

Another question is that the old pump was bolted to the mounting pad with rubber insulators, but the new pump has rubber insulators without holes in them. They are pointy so will see if they just press-fit into the holes. Seems a bit shaky, but maybe not a lot of pressure/tension on it.

Honestly I was expecting more thorough instructions, only gave the priming procedure. Anyway, thanks in advance for any advise you guys have. I sure somebody's done this  :D

anlauto

I believe you have the hoses correct, and they never used bolts from the factory to mount the pump :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

70vert

Thanks for the input!
I decided to call Hydro-E-Lectric (who I bought the motor from) and check before starting the priming. They weren't really much help, just said I had a 50-50 chance  ::)  After asking a couple more questions they did say it will work either way, which is kinda what I thought. So I went forward with the priming and lucky for me it worked as I'd hoped. When I hold the switch down the top goes down and when I hold it up the top goes up! Not sure that is OEM correct, but logical. Even though I bought the motor over 6 months ago I'm pretty happy getting it done before summer and learned a few new things  :smile:

Oh, and any market for a motor core? I read a few posts on refurbing but decided not to tackle that. I actually would let it go for shipping and handling if someone can use it.

Jay Bee

The switch action is OEM correct. Congrats on the fix and your old motor/pump is really quite generous.