Main Menu

Convertible rear panel

Started by FC7 cuda, March 25, 2017, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FC7 cuda

Has anyone seen these in person ?  eBay item number:172589214587 sorry don't know how to do the link..

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

Not really many options.  Does anyone sell them cheaper?  That seems like a lot?   :notsure: 

FC7 cuda

Are they good as the metro panels?  Or are they like the palco ones?

anlauto

Quote from: FC7 cuda on March 25, 2017, 01:27:40 PM
Are they good as the metro panels?  Or are they like the palco ones?

Not even close to Metro :crying:

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Metro set the bar pretty high!

6bblgt

are those Palco/Dashtop or is there another source?

FC7 cuda

I have a nice set of original black ones that I hate to paint white...

YYZ

FWIW a long time ago (mid 1990s) Jeff Bobst and his colleague James prototyped some very nice rear panels for 'Cuda convertible.  The depth of grain and detail was right on -- the biggest 'tell' was a vertical seam on the section that covers the pinchweld in the door jamb.  It would be hidden with the door closed.

I seem to recall that they'd done a casting or mould in two halves, hence the seam.  But they looked far nicer than anything that's been available before or since.

Might be worth inquiring as to whether they ever turned out to be viable...

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 25, 2017, 09:08:15 PM

That's the only source I'm aware of  :dunno:

HEMICUDA

That's exactly what they are. Vacuum formed junk.  I took a set out of my 70 vert when I found a set of originals that I had Just Dashes cover for me, I tossed them in my dumpster along with a white set from one of my hard tops when the Metro panels were available.  The Just Dashes covered set isn't OE perfect, however, it is the absolutely the best alternative on the planet.

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on March 26, 2017, 06:17:15 AM

That's the only source I'm aware of  :dunno:

A company called Accuform also used to make some.
They were similar to the Palco stuff.   
If I recall correctly, one of the companies was formed by someone who left the other company.

The ones Metro made are amazing! 
They tried a few times to do sign ups for convertible rear panels, and although they did receive a lot of interest, the numbers were never there to pull the trigger on manufacturing them.  They didn't think they could recoup the cost.

cataclysm80

GREAT to see you here YYZ!   :welcome:

Tav

RUNCHARGER

Could a person pull a mold and make a fibreglass set then have Just Dashes cover them? (I assume if it was easy someone would have done it already, but I'm curious).
Sheldon