Main Menu

Convertible Top Cover Boot

Started by 71vert340, February 18, 2019, 02:13:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

My car still has the original boot cover that hides the top when it's down. It is showing it's age and will not stretch anymore. When I have the top down, I simply lay the cover over the top of the well. A few years ago, I ordered a new boot cover and was disappointed in the quality. It had all plastic clips to attach it to the molding and they looked flimsy. I sent the cover back. I do have original type new boot clips, about two dozen, with the steel spring insert. Question 1: do the new covers have the original style clips? 2. Who makes the correct style boot cover and can it be date coded? 3. Should I just get someone with an upholstery shop to make one - a friend has offered that does excellent boat upholstery? 4 Thanks for any information. I have the back seat out and I'm documenting everything with photos. This includes seat belt labels, seat belt bolt markings, floor plugs, etc. I'll probably end up putting new carpeting back in after I rebuild the heater box. I don't ever plan on doing this again. Again, thanks. I've included a couple of photos.
Terry

Bpret

I had my original boot but I just had the moldings polished. There was no way I was going to put those spring steel clips on my shiny new moldings. So I ordered a new boot from year one. It has a steel clip but covered in nylon so it doesn't scratch. I think it fits good mine is about two years old.

Rich G.

Call legendary Interiors's. I got one for my 70 and I'm happy with it. It does have plastic clips . I don't know if that's what it's supposed to have or if 71 is different.

71vert340

The original clips like the one I have pictured is black plastic with the spring steel on the back. They hold very tight to the stainless molding. The new cover I had ordered with the plastic only clips I felt didn't hold the boot cover as tight as the original clips and in fact one plastic clip broke in half when I initially installed it. No spring steel inserted in it. I asked if they would sew in my new clips and they said no. I just wondered if new clips hold as well and if the covers are dead on to the originals - same grade naugahyde and same grain pattern? The top boot for my 70 convertible had the same type clip as I have pictured. Thanks.
Terry

71vert340

Bpret, your car's boot looks good when installed. My other question is: what are the cars being restored to OE Gold certification at shows using for top boots? Are they being dated coded to match the originals? Are they Legendary top boots? Maybe somebody with a totally OE restored car can share some information.
Terry

cudaize

I have a Legendary boot with their plastic clips on both my Challenger and Cuda convertibles.  I am very happy with the fit of the boots and with the holding and sturdiness of the clips.  They have less flex than the originals but once they are on they stay put.

If you are interested in selling your old boot and it is a black Cuda boot I would be interested in buying it.

Mike Afflerbach

anlauto

I imagine you can have the stamp made and date code one yourself. As far as I know, no company makes "date coded" ones. I use Legendary boots on all the convertibles I've restored and had no issues. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

I know the thread is a few months old but hoping to get a little clarification on these clips without starting a new conversation in a new thread. I am in the process of buying a nice 71 Barracuda convertible and one of the few issues the seller never addressed are several broken clips for the boot. Both boot and clips are original and the boot still looks like new but more than half the clips are broken.

In searching around, it looks like I'm limited to the plastic clips but I can live with that if they hold well. My question is do the sew in somehow? I have a great upholstery guy I trust but obviously he can't examine the car until the deal is finished and the car is shipped out. I'd like to give him a heads up on what I need. I'm hoping to reuse the original boot if the old clips can be easily removed and new clips installed in a nice clean way. This will be my first e body convertible so I have a few things to learn about them.