Main Menu

Cuda trunk interior....Part Deux!

Started by Mickm, December 13, 2018, 06:47:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

Hello all,
A year or so ago I did a build thread on a custom trunk for the TINFISH. It was constructed from wood and fiberglass, covered with foam and ultra leather. Well, I was pleased with the results, especially since I am not  an interior guy. However, it has never had the look that I think is best for a Cuda. I say this because the original interior is mostly formed ABS plastic. So.....I decided to see if it possible to make a new trunk interior that would more represent the theme of the original cars interior design.

I am learning as I am going here but  thought I would share and see what everyones thoughts were.

The following pictures show the back, sides and front completed. I had an issue getting the seams to fit properly but after a lot of head scratching Captain Morgan threw out the idea of attaching all three panels together~~~ Wa-la~~~ This also made it possible to mount everything and not see any fasteners!!!

Here is a shot from the rear left. The picture was lightened via Photoshop as the original was too dark.
Note, the latch cover is not made yet.

Here's one from the right rear. Notice the trunk light switch on the left side panel, rear.

This one from the rear shows the original speaker ring still covered in red ultra leather. I am giving thought to finishing it our and painting it black, red or silver.  Any suggestions?

Also, the first two pics show a .75" foam pan in the floor, while the third shows the board I cut out.

I am going to get some auto carpet in the morning and look at it both ways to see which I like better.

Then I will address the latch cover. The final item to address will be the hinge openings. My plan it to form some plastic cups that will slide into the openings with a rolled lip and have the whiskers installed inside.

I am very pleased with the results thus far. I think this looks much more in keeping with the original interior design.....and the tighter rear panel offers a few inches of additional room.

Thanks for input and ideas in advance.

Cheers!
Mickm

303 Mopar

Every time you work on your car it just keeps getting better and better. This looks amazing!    :worship:

Mickm

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it.
I guess we never completely fnish them, do we.

68Charger

Sorry to be the new guy bumping an old thread, but any updates on offering the trunk trim as a package? Just got a '71 that could use this treatment.

Thanks!

Mopar5

Quote from: Mickm on December 13, 2018, 06:47:12 PM
Hello all,
A year or so ago I did a build thread on a custom trunk for the TINFISH. It was constructed from wood and fiberglass, covered with foam and ultra leather. Well, I was pleased with the results, especially since I am not  an interior guy. However, it has never had the look that I think is best for a Cuda. I say this because the original interior is mostly formed ABS plastic. So.....I decided to see if it possible to make a new trunk interior that would more represent the theme of the original cars interior design.

I am learning as I am going here but  thought I would share and see what everyones thoughts were.

The following pictures show the back, sides and front completed. I had an issue getting the seams to fit properly but after a lot of head scratching Captain Morgan threw out the idea of attaching all three panels together~~~ Wa-la~~~ This also made it possible to mount everything and not see any fasteners!!!

Here is a shot from the rear left. The picture was lightened via Photoshop as the original was too dark.
Note, the latch cover is not made yet.

Here's one from the right rear. Notice the trunk light switch on the left side panel, rear.

This one from the rear shows the original speaker ring still covered in red ultra leather. I am giving thought to finishing it our and painting it black, red or silver.  Any suggestions?

Also, the first two pics show a .75" foam pan in the floor, while the third shows the board I cut out.

I am going to get some auto carpet in the morning and look at it both ways to see which I like better.

Then I will address the latch cover. The final item to address will be the hinge openings. My plan it to form some plastic cups that will slide into the openings with a rolled lip and have the whiskers installed inside.

I am very pleased with the results thus far. I think this looks much more in keeping with the original interior design.....and the tighter rear panel offers a few inches of additional room.

Thanks for input and ideas in advance.

Cheers!
Mickm
Looks good! The Captain Morgan line cracked me up I've gotten some good ideas there myself