Main Menu

Custom Speedhut Gauges -Standard dash cluster

Started by Brads70, January 15, 2017, 04:41:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

While wanting to get rid of the AMP gauge due to the common fire hazard I went a step further and replaced all the gauges with Speedhut gauges I designed. For those that don't know Speedhut are former Autometer employees  and will work with you to design your own artwork. I had a very good experience with them and would highly recommend them for your next project. The Speedometer has no speedometer cable and is GPS driven. The LED display can be toggled to display Odometer/trip , peak MPH, 1/4 mile time, 0-60 time, speed, elevation, time , or direction ( compass) I went with the 140MPH speedo as 120 just was not enough! LOL
I also wanted them to look as close to stock as possible, but wanted actual numbers not just a bar gauge
http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/

Cuda Cody

Those look really nice.  Can you share what someone might expect to pay for a custom set?

Brads70

I'm one of the weird ones that actually prefer the 70 standard dash over the Rally dash. I like those ribs unique to 1970 only.  You could do the same with a rally dash though and I see others doing that with a new cluster Dakota digital has just came out with.
First step is out came the body saw and simply pop riveted sheet aluminum to the housing. I made a bristol board template as a guide.
  I also sacrificed a junk speedo for the hood. Cut it so the speedhut gauge fit right in.

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 15, 2017, 04:48:06 PM
Those look really nice.  Can you share what someone might expect to pay for a custom set?

I think it was around a grand. Custom costs a little more per gauge and to not have the speedhut logo.

Brads70

A few more....

Cuda Cody

Nicely done!!!!!  And good call on paying more for no logo.  Looks really clean that way.   :1place:

Brads70

I like how they light up at night.
Here is the artwork proofs before they were made.

A.Gramz

Looks mint.   I also like the standard dash.   Just one question was switching to kph an option? 

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 15, 2017, 05:10:29 PM
Nicely done!!!!!  And good call on paying more for no logo.  Looks really clean that way.   :1place:

Thanks! I'm happy with them. Its funny at shows, I sometimes get asked were did you get a 140 speedo for a standard cluster?  :brainiac:  Then they take a closer look when I tell them about Speedhut.

Brads70

Quote from: A.Gramz on January 15, 2017, 05:11:50 PM
Looks mint.   I also like the standard dash.   Just one question was switching to kph an option?
I really wanted the ability to switch between KPH and MPH but they don't offer that "yet" You have to chose either MPH or KPH , so yes they have the same gauge in Metric. Every year or so I email them asking if they have the "software " yet to at least be able to display KPH on the LED screen but nothing yet. I'd buy another one tomorrow if they did. I quite often get followed by the local police and it would be nice to know how fast in KPH I was actually going.
The nice part about the GPS speedo is it doesn't matter what size tires, gear set you have . It doesn't matter to the GPS  ;)

Cuda Cody

They did a nice job on the artwork and your install looks super clean!

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 15, 2017, 05:24:36 PM
They did a nice job on the artwork and your install looks super clean!

Thanks! It was a fun project. It's a terrible thing and gets expensive when I'm bored!  :))

Moparman82

Love these gauges brad, they look killer, and a nice alternative to a rallye swap
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

HP_Cuda

Hey Brad

Do you lose the speedo when going thru a long tunnel ?

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Brads70

Quote from: HP_Cuda on January 16, 2017, 10:52:29 AM
Hey Brad

Do you lose the speedo when going thru a long tunnel ?

B

Hummm , not sure never been in a long tunnel? If I did I'd be dropping a gear and holding it to the floor so I wouldn't be looking at it anyhow!  :D