Main Menu

Dash Cluster mounting nut

Started by CudaHead, April 08, 2020, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

I'm in the middle of building a dash for my 70 Cuda.
I'm having a small problem with mounting the dash cluster to the frame.
The two lower holes at the bottom of the cluster, where there should be a J-nut for them, is really tight.
I can not find a j-nut that will fit there.
Can anyone shine a light on this?

headejm

Here is a photo of my dash frame showing the various J-nuts. The two tabs you are talking about did not get J-nuts on my Rallye dash. Sorry, I can't remember what those tabs are for if anything?

CudaHead

Thank you for that picture. It will help in putting the j-nuts back in.
I see the two tabs in your picture.
The cluster has four mounting points,  two mounts at the top of the cluster and two mounts at the bottom of the cluster.
The ones in question are the lower mounts.
I have bought the smallest j-nuts I could find but there is just not enough room to put them on those tabs.
I seems I'm missing something.

anlauto

They don't use J nuts they use a #8 screw straight into the metal tab.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaHead

Ok, I found an answer.
Those locations do not use j-nut's. Instead, the screws go directly into the medal frame.
I should of seen that.

I was able to find j-nuts that work. Auveco number AP5197 did fit, but it was then that I realized you don't need them.
Live and learn.

JS29

headejm

@CudaHead Let me know if you need anymore photos.  :cheers:

CudaHead

Thank You anauto. I did not see your post before I  posted.

Thanks headejm. If you have anymore pictures of where the nuts go, I would love to see them. I used your photo already to do the ones where they were displayed.

I'm building a dash from scratch and it's been a hoot. I'll post pictures later.

headejm

More pics.  :cheers:

CudaHead

Great, Those will really help.
Thanks