Main Menu

Dash pad to cowl - dash too high?

Started by shawge, June 28, 2017, 08:50:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

shawge

Any pictures of where the dash and cowl meet?  I have an UR dash I got some time ago that I've finally gotten around to install.  As it is right now, I'm concerned that a window will not fit. It seems a bit high on the left side, as if there is too much padding along the back edge.  Right side meets up with the start of the window channel.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Cuda Cody

It should fit pretty flush, but the window will have sealant and there's room for it if it's a bit high.  Post some photos.   :takepicture:

shawge

My "test" was sweeping a ruler in the window channel. Pics are Left side w/o and w/ ruler. Right side.

I can squeeze the dash down to fit but it pops right back.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Cuda Cody

Are you trying to squeeze / push it down so it's lower then the window channel?  I don't think you have to... it looks like there's plenty of room.  The windshield sits on sealant so it will be much higher then what your dash appears to be at.

You want the windshield to sit correctly so it works perfectly with the window trim.  The person installing your glass will test fit the windshield and might even have to shim it to get it high enough to fit the trim.  I do not see the dash pad getting int he way of that. 

Burdar

I had the same issue on the driver side corner.  The UR pad was thicker on that side. 

The first thing I did was push down on that area as hard as I could with the bolts loose at the cowl.  With pressure still on that corner, I tightened up the bolts.  That helped a little.

I didn't use butyl tape to install the windshield.  I had a glass shop do it.  He was able to get the glass to fit but the dash does touch the glass on that side.  I do have a little squeak in that area.  Not sure how to get rid of it just yet.  I'd be interested to see what you end up doing.

shawge

That's it, @Burdar, it's much ticker on one side.  I'll need to see if there is padding underneath pushing the dash up and/or too much padding on top.

If it's  padding underneath, then I'm willing to peel back some of the vinyl, scrape, and reglue.
If it's on top, eh... not sure.  Performing surgery on it becomes a little trickier.

Guess I could slot the dash mounting holes on the right side and move the vents to line up. 
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

MoparDave

check the pad to insure its not sitting in top of the defroster plastic vent. Its easy for the pad to get caught on them. I had this happen when I took a dash out to put in the vintage air system while I was putting the dash back in.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

shawge

Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

MoparDave

Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/