Main Menu

dash pad / vin number tag

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 21, 2020, 09:28:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am replacing the dash pad.  What is the best / accepted way to transfer the vin tag to the new pad?  The original is riveted on.

Also, I saw 2 different dash pad vendors at the Indy swap meet.  One had pads that had a price based on how much of a reject it was.  The other was a guy named Allen from Texas.  I was more inclined to buy his pad, but he did not have the right one for my car left by the time I go to him.  I was planning to order one from him but am hoping for some confirmation that this is a good move.
Thanks

71cudaddict

Bob at abc in kingman AZ has about the nicest one out there and he is a stand up guy

1 Wild R/T

Grind the rivets off from the back side... If you try to drill from the front (normal way to remove a pop rivet) they will spin and damage the VIN tag... 

Katfish

If that's the Allen out of Texas, don't do it.
Only way I'd buy a pad from him is if it was in front on me and I know exactly what I'm getting.
Had a terrible experience having to ship junk back several times.

7E-Bodies

I bought my last pad from @Mopar Dave at Roseville. Couldn't have been happier. Beautiful product. Exchange of my core was quick and simple. I'm mid project on another E body now and will definitely be going through him again. He's a major contributor to this site.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Dakota

correct replacement VIN tag rivets and the stencil on the tag are available here:

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productdesc.php?co=c&id=62

I have used both and was really happy with the outcome.

mopar jack

I just did a pad from Dave and it worked out great and he even tried to help on shipping. The transfer and rivets from ECS made my tag look new. When I installed the rivets I just pushed them in to the pad and did not cinch with a rivet tool so in the future it will remove easily.