Main Menu

Converting console from auto to manual

Started by Mr Lee, April 02, 2020, 08:22:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Lee

I have the template to cut the console.  I know what its supposed to look like when I'm done... and that's what's causing me to pause.  The 4 speed consoles... lets be honest, they look like an after thought by Ma mopar.  Has anyone done a better job at making it look more presentable?  Any ideas on how to do this so you don't see so much of the shifter boot on the side?  This is one area I'm willing to sway from originality a bit.  It almost makes me wanna go without a console, but I like having a place for my stuff.
Any ideas, photos would be appreciated. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

JS29

I prefer the no console look my self.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I agree, it looks pretty chintzy. If you just have to have one (I don't like them myself) You could do the mod to the console and then build a little bridge around the trim ring out of plastic and glue it to the console (kind of a U-shape).
Sheldon

anlauto

Cut a little bit, test fit, cut a little bit more, test fit....until you get the results that suit you  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

You really can't cut less of a notch in the console because it would interfere with the shifter boot. Pretty much have to build a molding to go around the boot and trim ring.
Sheldon

Mr Lee

Yeah it is what it is I guess.
If i had an extra junky console to practice on, I'd consider trying to heat and bend the plastic out.  But I dont so Im not gonna mess with it.

Daveh

I actually like a console even though these were poorly designed and the 4-speeds were an afterthought.  I had the template also but decided not to use it.  I just kept making small cuts and testing along the way with a little heat I think it worked out just fine. 

Mr Lee

Yeah that looks good DaveH.  I think that's about as good as it's gonna get.   I think that template is a little over ambitious (cuts off a little more than needs to be).
You mentioned using a little heat.  As in a heat gun?  So were you bending yours? 

headejm

Joegrapes

When I converted my automatic to 4 speed, I cut the console to match a manual console. I tried not having a console but I like it better with it in. You're right, I does look kinda cheap, but that's pretty much the way cars were then. After having rebuilt the entire car from the ground up, when I hear people say "they don't build cars like that anymore" , to that I say "thank freakin god!" 😂

Mr Lee

Hahaha.  Yeah really. 

...I think the interiors are nice LOOKING (the contour lines, shape etc) But its really just a bunch of cheap hollow pieces of hard plastic. 

I installed a bunch of "dynamat hoodliner" (adhesive backed thick foam) on the back of all my interior panels, hoping to make everything seem a little more plush and quiet... like when you close the doors and get that hollow "clunk" sound?   We'll see how it works. 

Daveh

I needed a little heat at one of the corners.  In general it was fine and you wouldn't have noticed anything.  I just wanted to pull it our a small bit.  Good luck