Main Menu

dash plastic

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 21, 2020, 09:25:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

There are a couple plastic trim pieces on the dash that seem to have some type of textured finish that is coming off.  The piece in the picture is one of them.  Afer I took the picture, I washed it with soap and water, but it still has some of the textered finish coming off.  Is there a spray-on coating to correct this, or is the textrue even supposed to be there?

Bullitt-

on my 73 challey the finish is rough (no texture inside the heater control rectangle). I used Rust-Oleum textured black that matched extremely well

it's been a few years but I believe this is the product, feels like pretty fine sandpaper
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Textured-Black-Protective-Spray-Paint-7220830/100121155

found this picture for reference

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

larry4406

I saved the attached years ago from the Moparts.com site back when Jules was still alive:

Bullitt-

Quote from: larry4406 on March 22, 2020, 04:56:31 AM
I saved the attached years ago from the Moparts.com site back when Jules was still alive:
Your picture & I have seen what appears to be a more textured finish on the reproduction pieces, looks like a wrinkle paint.
Wonder if that was an early production difference, I know there were many differences in the'70 model. My '73 original & another OE I bought at does not have "wrinkle", more like fine sandpaper. The wings that tucked behind the dash pad on mine had not deteriorated so I had good reference. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

Those two pieces shown should have a textured coating. Like anything else made back then, the level or amount of texture varied throughout the years.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

C_B5

Quote from: anlauto on March 22, 2020, 06:37:34 AM
Those two pieces shown should have a textured coating. Like anything else made back then, the level or amount of texture varied throughout the years.

Agreed. The amount and stipple pattern of the texture varied. I've had several NOS dash pieces over the years to compare and all had variations in the texture. Also another thing to remember when looking at those dash bezels, if that part has been in the car since new then it's probably worn down from use over the years so the texture may look different. 
This is the same thing that's seen with the black organsol finish when comparing an original paint car to one restored with new paint. Years of washing / cleaning the car changes the look.

Mr Lee

You can vary the amount of wrinkle by spraying it, then warming it with a heat gun as it's drying.  I found the more heat I applied, the tighter the wrinkle got.  But I forget which brand I used.  I think Plastikote 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

headejm

I used this on my air cleaner housing and the dash piece being discussed. Good results on the plastic piece. The air cleaner housing took a lot more effort with a heat gun. Maybe because the housing has a larger surface area?