Main Menu

Dash refinishing

Started by Mrbill426, September 14, 2020, 09:00:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

After a long search I was able to score a decent original dash pad for our 3-speaker A/C dash.  I does need to be re-coated though and I intend to use a SEM Color Coat on it.  I watched a SEM video on it and it seems pretty straight forward for the pad.  As for the textured "plastic" side and lower parts though I am not sure what kind of plastic they are so not sure how to prep them.  They have not been painted but appear glossier than the parts surrounding that gauges and heater controls.  Should they be the same color finish as the pad?
And... are the door and kick panels made of the same stuff; same prep for re-coating?

Thanks
:wrenching:

Burdar

Clean clean clean.  You can't have them too clean.  I used soap and water followed by a wax and grease remover.  SEM sells a prep soap but I didn't use it...some have though.  Then use their Adhesion Promoter. Follow the directions on the can.  Then you are ready to spray the SEM Landau black.  Make sure to use multiple "light" mist coats instead of heavy coats. 

Mrbill426

@Burdar thanks.  So is that also to say the lower plastic (grained) pieces are to be painted Landau Black?

Quote from: Burdar on September 15, 2020, 05:33:39 AM
Clean clean clean.  You can't have them too clean.  I used soap and water followed by a wax and grease remover.  SEM sells a prep soap but I didn't use it...some have though.  Then use their Adhesion Promoter. Follow the directions on the can.  Then you are ready to spray the SEM Landau black.  Make sure to use multiple "light" mist coats instead of heavy coats.

Burdar

Yes, Landau is what you want.  They do make a satin and a gloss clear that you could try if you aren't happy with the gloss level of the Landau.

Mrbill426

Thanks much!

Quote from: Burdar on September 15, 2020, 12:16:24 PM
Yes, Landau is what you want.  They do make a satin and a gloss clear that you could try if you aren't happy with the gloss level of the Landau.