Main Menu

Dash Wiring Harness Question With Pics

Started by Daveh, November 20, 2017, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

As you know I'm finally putting my 71 Challenger back together.  I pulled the dash wiring harness out to install it.  It's been a number of years since I took it apart and I have a question.  I remember the headlights working but I don't remember if the wipers worked.  I wouldn't I only had the car a number of weeks before I tore it down and don't even remember trying them. 

Look at the pics the headlight and wiper harnesses are spliced up.  I didn't do it.  It came that way?   :notsure:

1. Why do you think that was done?
2. It's sturdy do you think if I clean them and secure them they would be ok?
3. YearOne is having a 30% off sale should I invest in a new one? 

I'm installing AutoMeter gauges so I don't need the wiring for the gauges.

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Thanks'

Dave

Roadman

OMG, get the new harnesses.   Thats a mess.

Daveh

What's the difference between the harness for the regular gauges and the Rallye gauges?  Remember I'm putting in AutoMeter gauges but at some point down the road may want the Rallye gauges.  Is there anything different than the gauge connections? 

RUNCHARGER

Extra wire for a tach, a few different connectors (it's been about 20 years since I changed one over). How are the terminals and plastic in your harness? If the rest of the harness isn't corroded or overheated I just fix harnesses like yours. It's pretty easy to just replace one wire at a time until you're good.
Sheldon

Daveh

Mine is also a convertible will there be the connection for the convertible?

anlauto

Your convertible power top wiring is a separate harness that you will need to unclip from the bulkhead and save for the new harness, or most likely YearOne sells that harness separately as well  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

More questions:

There are 6 wires going into the wiper harness in the pictures.  The big pink one is discolored on the main harness side and when I went to pull away the black tape wrapped around it, it came off all of the wires easily but that one.  It's stuck to it and no matter how much I pull it won't budge.  It's stuck. The brown wire was stuck to it and ripped some of the insulation off.  Does anyone know where that wire goes?  I can't figure it out.  Can I pull back enough of the black tape to expose a clean pink wire and solder in a new one to the connector? 

Here's my theory maybe something happened to the connector in the past and the previous owner spliced on a new connector?????  Who knows. 

Any thoughts????

Jim AAR

Doesn't look like it's stuck there, it looks more like it's melted there.

I know if it was mine I would not reuse it. Once wires melt together, you are just waiting for a short and a fire.

You could try to repair it, but with all those household wire nuts on therealready, i would not trust any of it for a second.

My  :alan2cents:

anlauto

My thoughts...throw that harness in the garbage. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

A new harness is expensive, even with the 30% discount, but you'll be glad you bought it.   :bigthumb:

Who knows what other "surpirses" my be revealed if you use that harness. 

Good luck either way.  :cheers:

Cuda_mark

Yeah, absolutely go with a new harness. The last thing you want is a fire!

Jay Bee

Maybe these pictures help.

Daveh

Thanks guys,

I guess I will be trying to pick up a good black Friday deal.  Now I need to figure out what to do with the convertible harness that's in there and how to attached it to the fuse block.  I haven't really looked into that yet so if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate those as well.  Thanks

Dave

Claudia