Main Menu

Door jamb switch adjustment

Started by nsmall, November 17, 2017, 06:46:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Heres a softball question for one of you pros.

How much pressure is put upon the door jamb switch when closing the door for it to be adjusted?

The reason I ask is the threads were stripped out on the door jamb and I had to rethread it and it's not super tight.

I don't want to put the Door Jam switch in there and close the door and have it ruin what little threads I have. 

The new door jamb switch is obviously to long.  Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

anlauto

They self adjust when you close the door  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Okay.  Thanks.  I know I'm going to sound totally paranoid but is it a lot of pressure as the threads are pretty shot on my door jamb?  I was thinking of wrapping the switch in some Teflon tape as I obviously don't want to destroy the threads in the door jamb.

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

First off teflon tape would insulate the switch & it needs to have a path to ground...
Second because the pressure is pushing in on the switch the switch won't move, it's run in till the should is against the body....

Chryco Psycho

You can see the brass tube through the nut , when you close the door& the plunger bottoms out  the brass tube will slide inside the nut , the only pressure on the threads will be pressure towards bottoming out the nut , no pull pressure so the threads Should hold up fine just a question of having a good ground contact .

screamindriver

Close the door slowly...As in hand shut the door as much as possible and latch it..Don't give the door a toss like you would normally... Masking tape on the door frame is a good choice if you've got fresh paint for the initial mating...

nsmall

Thanks everyone.

@screamindriver YOUR ALIVE. I was just thinking of sending you a pm.  Glad to hear from you.