Main Menu

Finish on lower dash bezels

Started by Skdmark, November 28, 2020, 03:07:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

Is suede the correct finish on the 2 lower dash bezels for a 71 Rallye dash?

Left side the Heater / A/C bezel
Right side Radio bezel

I'm asking because the repro A/C Rallye bezel I just got is black wrinkle.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Floyd

The originals on my other cars (both 71s) had a slight texture.  All of mine are non-a/c.

First pic is what I went with.  I stripped the original paint off with oven cleaner, scuffed lightly, then sprayed rustoleum textured black as a base and SEM Trim Black as a top coat.  The texture is probably a little more subtle than original, but closer than wrinkle IMO.  I left the area inside the silver box natural (no paint)

Second pic is one with wrinkle finish done by Instrument Specialties that was too textured for my taste.

The testers paint pens work great for the silver border and white letters on the heater control BTW.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

blown motor

I used VHT wrinkle paint. I sprayed it on, let it flash off then hit it with a hair dryer to create the wrinkle. It took me three tries to get it right. I had to strip it each time between tries.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

larry4406

I saved this annotated image from Jules years ago with his advise

anlauto

Quote from: larry4406 on November 29, 2020, 08:52:45 AM
I saved this annotated image from Jules years ago with his advise

It's been seven years now :andyangel:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

The black wrinkle on the repro I received was not subtle, it was very much like an air cleaner.
I'm going to strip it and redo.
-Harlan Ellison

Floyd

Here's a better shot of mine with the rustoleum/SEM combo finish.

Floyd

Skdmark

Thanks all for the photos and references. I appreciate the input.
I'm going to try the textured rust-oleum and SEM combo.

Plastikote wrinkle is not easily sourced these days (at least in SE Wisconsin).
I haven't found any brick and mortar stores or online sources.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

For additional reference, I found this pic of the late Dave Walden's Challenger.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

I was able to get the bezel finished up.

I knocked down the wrinkle with a grey scotch pad. I didn't remove it, just flattened it a bit.
Then, after a wipe down, lighly sprayed 2 coats of the Rustoleum texture paint that Floyd recommended.
Finally, clear coated it with SEM low luster clear.

Thanks to all for the input.

-Harlan Ellison

Floyd

Mrbill426

Nice job  :bigthumb:

Quote from: Skdmark on January 09, 2021, 10:21:10 AM
I was able to get the bezel finished up.

I knocked down the wrinkle with a grey scotch pad. I didn't remove it, just flattened it a bit.
Then, after a wipe down, lighly sprayed 2 coats of the Rustoleum texture paint that Floyd recommended.
Finally, clear coated it with SEM low luster clear.

Thanks to all for the input.