Main Menu

fuel neck filler

Started by Husk Challenger, May 02, 2017, 02:40:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Husk Challenger

Hey guys,

I found some  fine particle inside my carburetor.
So i decided to check my gaz tank.

After removing the fuel i found some kind of "rust dust" and it seems that it comes from my fuel neck filler which is really rusty!!

I have to change my fuel neck filler, but i see VENTED and NON VENTED...
What model should i order for my challenger 73?

Extra question, i'm thinking in changing my fuel filter for a ten micron filter. Any suggestion? Can i mount it just before the fuel pump?

Thank you!

Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Cuda Cody

Your tank looks good.  And appears you have the expansion tank!  I don't think the reproduction come with that.

The "vented" vs "non vented" is the emission thing.  My experience is mostly with 1970's, but I would think on a 1973 it would be an emission car, right?

One of them vents through the gas cap and a small nipple on top of the filler tube that goes to a hard (small, maybe 1/4") fuel line that runs down to the frame rail.  The other vents through the tank and back up (through a long 1/4" fuel line) to the engine plus a large tube inside the trunk.  Your tank looks to be a N95 emission tank because it has all the extra fuel fittings.  But them someone capped them off to use it as a non emission tank.

Chryco Psycho

typically only 70 was vented all years after that would be non vented

1 Wild R/T

The tank is actually a 70 California or a 71 California & Federal tank... 73 should have the nipples up front above the axle....  Those four nipples that are looped to one another are supposed to go to a vapor separator.... They are how the tank is vented, originally the fill pipe would be un-vented..... However if your using that tank with the four nipples looped you need a vent somewhere & the fill pipe works well.... However the vented fill pipe is a 70 only federal only deal, you'll need the right fuel cap & the vent line kit......

Or you could add  the vapor separator, hook up the four vent lines, add a vent line to the front (or not) and use the un-vented fill pipe...

Either way you need a way for air to get into the tank or the fuel won't be able to leave... Well, it depends, I've seen fuel tanks sucked flat, initially I thought the car had bottomed out & the tank was dented.....  Then I realized the tank was under vacuum & when I removed the fuel cap the dent popped slightly..... I actually used compressed air & popped a good portion of the dent out...

MoparDave

possible 72 but 73-74 would have the 4 vents on the front that would go to a separator mounted to the shock cross member. then that vents out to the purge vapor can by the radiator. filler neck would be non vented. 55.00 + ups
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

MoparDave

correct tank for 73-74
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Husk Challenger

Well thanks a lot for all the informations.  :twothumbsup:

On my tank 3 nipples were looped and the last one with the longest hose go to a metal line through the car until the front (picture 1).... i suppose something is missing at this point (picture 2)

So my tank is vented...not correctly but still. And i need a non vented Fuel neck filler.

Thanks!

1 Wild R/T

Ok, so the late design vapor separator is still in the car... Cool... Early tank, late separator... It'll work...  Rather then looping the vent lines you should hook up each of the four lines from the tank to the four lines on the separator then the single line goes to the front......  Originally it when to a charcoal canister with a purge line but even if you just leave it open the tank will be properly vented...

Husk Challenger

Thank you very much.  :bigthumb:

I will hook them up!

nsmall

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 02, 2017, 11:17:57 AM
Ok, so the late design vapor separator is still in the car... Cool... Early tank, late separator... It'll work...  Rather then looping the vent lines you should hook up each of the four lines from the tank to the four lines on the separator then the single line goes to the front......  Originally it when to a charcoal canister with a purge line but even if you just leave it open the tank will be properly vented...

Forgive me if this is considered hijacking this thread.  I have the same issue.  I have a line that runs in tandem with my fuel line.  I have a 73 Cuda.  I dont want to run it a canister. 

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 02, 2017, 11:17:57 AM

Question, where can I direct this vent line and how long does it have to be?  Do I have to run it to the fire wall or can I just run it 3 feet or so from the tank and cut the line?  I hope that made sense? I want to minimize clutter in my engine bay/NOT BUY MORE PARTS.

Thanks

Husk Challenger.  I have some pics of the second line if you want me to post them.  Thanks

1 Wild R/T

You could jut not connect anything to the fifth line, just leave it open....

nsmall

@1 Wild R/T

I couldnt tag you for some reason.

So the 5th line would be the one on top in the attached pic?  So just leave like 8 inches of the rubber hose?

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

That would work fine....

Husk Challenger

Hey guys,

I received my new neck filler and i installed it after a refresh of the tank. I have also reconnected the vent lines.

So i went to the gas station and i filled the tank and here's the drama! I had a big leak of gas at the neck filler grommet...  :headbang:
The grommet did look good when i put it back in place...but it seems i did wrong!
Did i miss something at the mounting??
I am waiting your advice before order a new one...

Thanks

cuda dad

Quote from: Husk Challenger on June 04, 2017, 06:02:04 AM
Hey guys,

I received my new neck filler and i installed it after a refresh of the tank. I have also reconnected the vent lines.

So i went to the gas station and i filled the tank and here's the drama! I had a big leak of gas at the neck filler grommet...  :headbang:
The grommet did look good when i put it back in place...but it seems i did wrong!
Did i miss something at the mounting??
I am waiting your advice before order a new one...

Thanks
The rounded side goes inside the tank.  You have to make sure to install it all of the way so the groove is in the lip of the tank.