Main Menu

Gauge needle colour question - Update - Finally done

Started by blown motor, March 29, 2017, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Convertcuda

Great info. Whats the best way to go about restoring the needs so the the paint looks good along the edges?

Jay Bee

Cuda Cody

I use a tiny brush.  When I say tiny, it's super small.  I've never had any issues and they always look great.

Quote from: Convertcuda on April 20, 2017, 04:33:18 AM
Great info. Whats the best way to go about restoring the needs so the the paint looks good along the edges?

Convertcuda

You must have a steady hand. How do you keep it off the black? Nice job. Like to see a pic of that tiny brush.

Ken

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Convertcuda on April 20, 2017, 03:04:05 PM
You must have a steady hand. How do you keep it off the black? Nice job. Like to see a pic of that tiny brush.

Ken

It's pretty easy to mask the gauge face, simply make a slit in a piece of paper & slip the paper under the needle so the stem is in the slit.....

blown motor

FINALLY! I got my gauges back yesterday. They look excellent. Now I need to find time to put them back in.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jay Bee

anlauto

Back from where ? I thought you already got them back :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Oh gosh Alan! I sent them back to get the other needles painted the same colour. Also they did such a great job on the speedo that the tach looked terrible so I had them reface it with the proper 7000 face and recalibrate it. You would think since I wasn't happy and sent it back they would make it a priority and get it back to me ASAP but it still took nearly three weeks. I'm pleased with the end result but I'm so glad to be done with these people.

Cuda Cody

Cuda Cody

@Convertcuda  here's a photo of the brush.  I have a few small ones that I use depending on the situation.  Brace your wrist and take your time.  You should be able to make it look perfect.

Quote from: Convertcuda on April 20, 2017, 03:04:05 PM

Ken

Convertcuda

Thanks Cody. Do you tape the sides of orange needle off so no orange paint gets on the black?

Cuda Cody

Nope, just lean my wrist on something and freehand it.  It's pretty easy.

Quote from: Convertcuda on April 23, 2017, 06:23:58 PM
Thanks Cody. Do you tape the sides of orange needle off so no orange paint gets on the black?

Cudajason

Hey Murray,

They look great!  Sorry to hear that it was such a hassle.  I was hoping that it was all go smoothly for you.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

Thanks Jason. I'm really fed up with them. I put the gauges in Sunday evening. On the tach, when I took it out, there was a spade terminal on the bottom post and a 90* bullet connector in the top post. He reversed them if you can image!! I called about it and he said that the internals can go in either way. But why would a restoration shop NOT restore it the way it originally was. My car is a 74 and it's not nearly all factory correct but still.  :pullinghair:

Don't ever do business with Mr Heaterbox, ever!