Main Menu

Gauge Question With Pics

Started by Daveh, November 19, 2017, 08:20:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey Guys,

I have a question.  I'm fitting Autometer gauges into my stock cluster and have all of them fitting except the speedo. (see pics)  It's slightly too small for the hole.  If I drop it in it goes in too far and looks funny.  I tried making a rubber O ring but that didn't fit well.  I would like something that I can form on the inside epoxy it in and then drop the gauge in.  I'm looking for something that doesn't look off the wall.

What have you guys done or do you have any suggestions.  Pics would be great of what you're done.    Thanks

The update and completed gauges are at the bottom of the thread.  Thanks for all of your help.   :ohyeah:

Dave

Chryco Psycho

What happens if you compress the o ring into the cup ?
could you hold it with screws into the cup behind like  christmas tree stand with t he o ring compressed in ?

Racer57

How about using small dia o ring along the body mid way to center it, then using a flat o ring at the top ?  You can get them in various sizes.  You might be able to find a flat plastic washer thats close enough that it can be easily modified to fit, on the internet or something like this ? ....  https://www.garvinindustries.com/electrical-junction-boxes/floor-boxes/round-pop-up-floor-box-kits/fbcvgrbk?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqv-YxqnL1wIVENNkCh2x0Q_SEAQYAiABEgIbnPD_BwE

1 Wild R/T

I think Mike AKA GoodysGotaCuda  has a CAD file for adapter rings... Don't recallll if he was talking about making a run to sell or if he'd send you the file but I'm pretty sure he has a file...

@GoodysGotaCuda

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 19, 2017, 11:08:47 AM
I think Mike AKA GoodysGotaCuda  has a CAD file for adapter rings... Don't recallll if he was talking about making a run to sell or if he'd send you the file but I'm pretty sure he has a file...

@GoodysGotaCuda

My adapter is only for the 4.5" speedhut gauge. I did used to have a 5" auto meter speedo. I cut the bezel and recessed/angled the speedo slightly. I'll try to find pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

My old dash

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

Daveh

That rubber ring that I used was solid so I just went an bought some vacuum line that I'm hoping will compress better as I insert it.  I'll keep you posted. 

Brads70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 19, 2017, 11:46:02 AM
@Brads70  could tool up an adapter

If you figure out what you want let me know? Aluminum is expensive though. That ring Racer57 posted might be a much cheap fix?

CudaMoparRay

This is what I tried at first CD DVD top, but big fail. It might have worked out with a little more work but my next fix was better IMO

CudaMoparRay

Anyway, you learn from your mistakes, so then I tried this and it came out perfect and cheap. At least for me. A plumbing thingy about $4.00. Just poked a hole in the middle to allow wiring through.  Hope this helps you.

Daveh

My vacuum hose idea worked out great I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.  Thanks guys. 

Daveh

Here is the completed project.  The vacuum hose idea worked out just great and is in there nice and tight.  Now I need to find the under dash wiring because that needed a little work.

My only question is what wire from the harness does the fuel gauge go?  Thanks

Dave

GoodysGotaCuda

Nice!

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

Depending on your steering wheel, you may find that the oil gauge is a little hard to see. At least from my seating position and using the tuff wheel it is.

I put my AFR gauge there since it isn't a critical gauge to monitor.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs