Main Menu

Green dash lights

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 21, 2020, 09:31:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We tore apart our dash today and I want to bead blast and paint this panel that has bulbs and green lenses.  The green lenses are riveted on.  Do people typically drill out the rivets and replace with screws? 

I assume that the purpose of this panel is to give the instruments a green glow???
Thanks

JS29

@GoMangoBoys         If the lens's are good, and you are glass beading. I would think about taping the lens's up. First with automotive grade masking tape for a base. then about five layers of duct tape.Followed then some SEM etch, trim black and go. :alan2cents: 

Mopar5

SEM trim black is good stuff I use it all time. That's my plan for my light bar as well.

anlauto

If it's not that rusty, I would leave the lenses in place and just hand sand it....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

When you put it back in the dash, use bright led bulbs instead of regular incandescent ones. They are dirt cheap, plug and play, and far brighter. Very nice upgrade for pennies.

B5fourspeed

Just finished my light bar today.I hand sanded it like Alan said then I cleaned it with lacquer thinner and masked off the lenses and light sockets and painted it with sems trim black.Turn out great.Does someone have the # for the LED bulbs for the light bar?

70 Challenger Lover

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372652525852

Same bulb but I got mine from a different seller. Hard to beat 50 cents each delivered to you door.

B5fourspeed

70/6chall

I restored 3 of them turned out real nice. Thanks,   Al

Jay Bee

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on March 21, 2020, 09:31:46 PM
Do people typically drill out the rivets and replace with screws? 
After drilling out the rivets I've replaced them with the same type of semi-tubular ones. You'll also need a rivet clincher if you're going that route. With the lenses off, it's a good opportunity to repaint the inside of the bulb housings.

cudamadd

worthywads

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 10, 2020, 11:44:04 AM
When you put it back in the dash, use bright led bulbs instead of regular incandescent ones. They are dirt cheap, plug and play, and far brighter. Very nice upgrade for pennies.

I'll second the LED bulbs, I went from very dim dash light that were not enough, to finally getting to use the dimmer to reduce the brightness to what I'm comfortable with.

usraptor

I masked off the lens with tape and then media blasted the metal in my home cabinet and then painted with SEM black landau.  Then used LED bulbs. 

JS29

Skid Row

:bigthumb: I used smoke colored Plexiglas from some electronic equipment with LEDs.