Main Menu

Heater box repair

Started by soundcontrol, March 05, 2017, 01:27:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

I just bought a heater box that the delivery company smashed in to several pieces. What kind of plastic are those made of, and can they be repaired? If so what to use, fiberglass?

anlauto

.....................and that's why I don't ship things :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

Fiberglass is what I would use to repair that one.

Cuda Cody

That pisses me off just seeing that!   :madashell:  What a waste.

I've never had to fix one that broke, but fiberglass is going to be a good option like 750-h2 said.  Let us know how it turns out.   :popcorn:

soundcontrol

We, the seller and I, will contact the company tomorrow and demand some compensation for this. But it's still broken and has to be fixed. With fiberglass, I assume you add that to the in- or outside, to reinforce, but what kinda glue works on this material, to put in the crack, before you use fiberglass?

Cuda Cody

It might be cheaper to just buy a new section.  But this might give you some ideas on how to repair it:

Topcat

Sorry to hear what happened to your heater box.

Happened to me before as well.

There are 2 types of shippers:
Experienced shippers
Non experienced shippers

Think outside the box (no pun intended) to what's going in the box.

I've shipped some serious fragile items before without any damage.
The most challenging one ever was an early 1900's antique hand crank music box that had been in a fire.
It was more fragile than a balsa wood doll house. Made it to N.Y. without one piece breaking off.

Qualify the seller on his shipping experience if possible. 

fc7cuda

That's sad to see.  Ironically I had a heater box get broke in transit too,  seller did a poor packing job.  After two weeks I got my money back after he filed a claim.  I didn't get the shipping cost refunded but did get to keep the box.  It was a non-air box and they're getting tough to find. Had a blower motor dated nicely so I have another spare. :welcome: :alan2cents:

jimynick

I'd use a good, structural 2 part epoxy in the cracks and then a thin mat rather than cloth in the inside to reinforce/build it up. I'd also clamp the two halves together when gluing it up to make sure it didn't cure out-of-square. Good luck :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda Cody

If you are just using it for function, jimynick's suggestion of epoxy should work well.     :twothumbsup:

anlauto

I'd toss that one and get another one :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

jimynick

You're right Alan, but did you forget the Sweden part of this equation? The poor guy's at the mercy of the shippers.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Okay....never saw that part.... :pullinghair:

Timbbuc2

:iagree: Thats too much to repair
Get in, I'll drive